- it's so fluffy and it smells so good, sometimes it just calls out to you (eat me! eat me!) -- and boy do we listen. Approximately 17 billion quarts of popcorn are eaten each year by Americans. So next time you hear those voices, I suggest going back to the basics ... put down the microwave popcorn (it's hazardous
) and try making it from scratch. I think you'll be glad you did.
Stove-top Popping Directions
- Pour 3 tablespoons of cooking oil and 1/3 cup of pop corn (white or yellow) into any heavy, 3 quart or larger pan with a lid.
- Cover pan and shake gently over medium high heat, allowing steam to escape from popping kernels.
- Remove pan from heat immediately when popping stops or it will quickly burn.
- Carefully pour popped kernels into large bowl.
- Season to taste.
Voila! You now have a great bowl of popcorn.