Here at DIY Life, we love to write about regular household items that can be used in a myriad of different and useful ways (for example, check out our love affair with vinegar). Few things excite me more than finding a new and unusual use for something I have sitting on my shelf, so you can imagine my delight when I came across the Tacoma Wheelmen's Bicycle Club's 1,997 unofficial uses for WD-40. Many of the tips are simply riffs and repeats of WD-40's basic job, which is, of course, lubricating stuff, but a lot of them were new to me. Here's a quick list of some that I found particularly useful (and/or weird):

#176. Helps clean showers (and makes them four times as slippery, I bet)
#510. Spray on disposable razor blades to make them function longer
#648. Cleans (that's a bit broad, but if it cleans, it CLEANS!)
#778. Unfreezes car doors (I've used it for this before, and it really works)

#814. Shines vinyl on jukeboxes (a relevant use if ever there was one!)
#842. Cleans bedpans (see notes for #814)
#966. Frees up stuck keys on organ (there's nothing worse than a stuck keyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy)
#1021. Rehydrates paintbrush bristles (cool!)
#1067. Loosens (again, a bit broad, but...)
#1094. Stops squeaks on stilts (I think that's my favorite use of them all)
#1247. Removes oil from hands
#1376. Cleans dice (no one wants dirt in their snake eyes)
#1544. Removes algae from canoes
#1555. Helps break in shoe portion on new roller skates
#1729. Removes rust from steam irons
#1780. Keeps missile silo doors swinging freely (:O)
#1809. Shines diamonds (not that I have many lying around)
#1947. Removes duct tape

Do you have any WD-40 tips that aren't already mentioned on this massive list? If so, we'd love to hear them.

• Maureen Carter

Supposedly it removes crayon from your walls. I've never tried it but my friends tell me it works. So when your budding artist forgets what paper is, you may have a way to get the art work off the walls.

• Dan Chilton

Indeed it does, Maureen. That's tip #10!

• timt

I once used WD-40 on my sore knee (my mom had told me about it helping sore joints) funny thing is it worked. I guess it is suppose to be like a poor mans DMSO. too weird. I don't recommend this use!

• Angie

It takes tar off of your cars paint!!!

• Vince Trolla

Works well on tree sapp and bugs on auto finishes

• Steve

Removes tar from your feet (walking bare foot on the beach can put tar on your feet)

Solar Steve

• willie

I bought an old motorcycle with decals on it. It seemed that if I tried to pull or scrape them off it would ruin the paint. I parked it in the sun so the decals would warm up and then sprayed them with WD-40. The decals peeled off with no damage to the paint, in fact, it was even shinier than before.

• lucille

It removes gummy residue from stickers, tape, etc.

• Lynda

Spray on matted dogs ears and the brush will glide right through

• Sharlene

#1947 mentions removal of duct tape, but it also includes any type of tape or gummy residue. Working in a retail store the owner would often give us small cans of WD-40 to spritz on pricetags. We'd let them soak for a minute or two and they'd practically slide right off, no gummy mess... although your hands and whatever you removed the sticker from was all oily lol

• valgun

AND WHO WOULD THOUGHT OF ALL THIS? THANKS FOR THESE WORDS OF WISDOM, FOR MY DAY WOULD NOT BEEN COMPLETE WITHOUT THEM!

• steve

I previously would spray it on cockroaches. It made them 'just slip away'. (;-)

• valgun

thanks for these great words of wisdom! my day would not have been complete without them!
    i appreciate the person who has so much time on his hands that he find all these uses for a pruduct that we all have used at one time or another.

• Ryan Konitzer

I have a stainless steel fridge/freezer and oven. I could never find anything that would remove the fingerprints, smudge and shine it like it was when I first bought them. One day I tried WD-40. It was so easy and brought back the look to brand new. I wipe it down weekly with WD-40 at it looks great again.

• nick

I spray it on the toilet paper dispensers at my tavern. It gums up the COCAINE that the creeps sniff off the dispensers.

• TONY

SPRAYED ON FISHING LURES , IT WORKS WELL AS A FISH ATTRACTANT , I HAVE TRIED THIS AND IT WORKS FAR BETTER THAN THE MORE COSTLY FISH ATTRACTORS

• Ryan Konitzer

I have a stainless steel refrigerator and oven. I could never get the finger prints and smudge off of it. I tried everything. Oneday I tried WD-40 and it cleaned it right up and brought the shine and look back to it's orignial condition.

• William

The Central AC unit was located near a basement window well. WASPS had built a small paper nest near the window. The AC service man was being set upon by the wasps. HE SPRAYED the Wasp nest with WD-40 and the wasps fell to the ground almost instantly. He was able to complete the job but unfortunately, the threatening wasps did not survive, nor have they returned to that window well.

• cara

It's non toxic, and it's a great insect repellent. We used to spray it on my step daughter's horse to keep the horseflies away......works better than Off mosquito repellent

• Wizzy

Lightly spray the ceiling corners in every room of your house with WD-40. You won't get any spider webs......or spiders! Works great!