I grew up on a farm that raised food and animals for our table. One of the animals we raised was chickens. We had about 100 at any given time and therefore, lots and lots of eggs.
We would sell our eggs and always had an excess amount of egg cartons
. People that would buy eggs would always bring more cartons with them every time they came. I got to thinking about what to do with all those cartons.
- You can use an empty egg carton as a boot tree. This will help your boots keep their shape and stop them from falling over in your closet.
- I use an empty egg carton as packing material for fragile items that I sell from my online store. The egg carton acts as a buffer so the item won't break during shipment.
- Running out of ice when you are having an outdoor party is always a bummer, but you can use an empty foam carton for making ice cubes and placing in your cooler to keep your drinks cold. Just don't drink the water once it thaws.
- I use a cardboard carton in my junk drawer to keep small objects from spilling over and to keep bigger things separated. You can also use them out in your garage to separate nuts and bolts.
- Empty egg cartons are great for storing jewelry and hiding it away in a drawer, keeping it away from little toddler eyes and fingers. You can also store in the refrigerator and no one would be the wiser. A foam container is also a great way to clean your jewelry. Just put in your earrings or rings, cover with jewelry cleaner, and you're good to go.
- When golf season is over, egg cartons are a great way to store your golf balls.
- Use a foam carton for holding your glue and paint for your next craft project. This works well if you are using a few different colors. You can also use them as a craft organizer for buttons, googley eyes, and all your other odds and ends.
- Egg cartons are a great way to make starter plants. Take the lid off, fill each compartment with potting soil and seeds, add a tiny bit of water, and put the foam carton where it will receive sunlight on a daily basis. If you have plant bulbs, store them in the egg carton until you are ready to plant.
- I use egg cartons to store my toddlers small hair barrettes, pony tail holders and other hair pretties.
Egg cartons are relatively cheap, can be painted to fit your decor, and can easily do any small storage job you need for little items. What are your favorite ways to use egg cartons?