I have a fetish for clean hands. Unfortunately since I am a mother to a preschooler, my need for clean hands is often overridden by my son's need to eat gooey, sticky foods. I know that washing hands with soap and warm water is the best and healthiest way to keep my paws clean, but when we are in the middle of a soccer game or on a long car ride a squirt of hand sanitizer is the best I can do. I used to use the grocery store brands, but after reading the list of harsh chemicals I decided to give my own recipe a try. I searched on the Internet and found that the following recipe is my favorite:

• 1/4 cup aloe Vera gel
  • 1/4 cup vodka
  • 10 drops fragrance oil -my favorite is lavender
Mix ingredients together and store in a pump bottle. The mixture keeps for quite awhile and is easily portable. I find the lavender to be my favorite smell because it mixes well with the alcohol smell and it is soothing. There are many variations on this recipe all over the Internet. This one just happens to be simple enough and use household ingredients that are easily attainable, both qualities I appreciate.

Source

• Gordy

Whatever.

Step away from the Stoli...slowly...

• Craash420

Aargh, alcohol abuse!

• Christie

This doesnt surprise me. Some of the hand sanitizer we use in the office actually smells like vodka.

• Jeff

Alcohol sanitizers are very effective, but remember that the alcohol content must be between 62% and 90% or it will not work properly. I did a long search for the home health agency I work for and found the NIH has guidelines and scientific research to back this up. For most people the store bought gels (with aloe) work great and are gentle enough to use frequently. On average, my co-workers use it 10 times a day; before and after each patient, with washing with soap and water a requirement after using the bathroom or if the hands are visably soiled.

• Angelita

If I had 420 included in my name I wouldn't be acusing anyone of abusing any type of substance. A police officer came to school and taught us that's another way way to refer to marijuana.

The FDA states that hand sanitizers MUST have a concentration of no less than 60%, ethanol or isopropanol, the active ingredients responsible for killing germs. Alcohol is absorbed through the skin. Isn't that why many years go it was recommended to stop using rubbung alcohol on any patient with high fever?
    Take an empty hand sanitizer bottle (about 4oz.) and wash it out. Place the following into the empty bottle........

1 part distilled water
    1part food grade glycerin
    1 part alcohol free witch hazel
    1 part 100% pure aloe vera gel
    15-20 drops of pure lavender essential oil (that was for a bottle this size)
    Put enough lavender to have a good strong scent.
    Shake it up and and apply it just like you would any other hand sanitizer.

You can buy all these items at the health food store.. You can add any essential oil that has antiseptic properties to it.

Here is the breakdown of what each ingredient:

Witch Hazel ~ Witch Hazel extract has astringent, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antibacterial, anti fungal, and anesthetic properties, making it indispensable for a variety of different medicinal and cosmetic uses.

Lavender Oil ~ Lavender Oil is cleansing and is an antiseptic.

Tea Tree Oil ~ Tea Tree Oil is also antiseptic in properties.

Aloe Vera Gel ~ Aloe Vera Gel is soothing, moisturizing, and healing to the skin.

Glycerin ~ Glycerin is a humectant, meaning it attracts moisture to your skin.
    ~Topical for yeast and fungal infections, including psoriasis and eczema
    ~Improves spread ability of sanitizer

Distilled Water ~ Used to help thin the sanitizer solution so it comes out of the bottle easily.

I got this information from a search on the internet. There are many more for those who care to do more researching.

• blueeyeddivadd

It sounds like a great idea but hopefully the lavendar masks the scent of the vodka........I'd hate to get pulled over by a local and smell like booze.............LOL
    but I'm sure it works!

• steve

Many people don't know this, but vodka is also great for sanitizing the back of your throat.

• Alison

Don't use alcohol-based hand sanitizers on your young children! Alcohol is absorbed through the skin and can make them really sick!

• Sociopath

STUPID!! STUPID IDEA.
    ANGELITA, 420 IS NOT ANOTHER WAY TO REFER TO MARIJUANA
    420 IS THE TIME OF DAY WHEN EVEYBODY THAT SMOKES WEED SPARKS UP AT 4:20. GET YA FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU GO BLABBERING ABOUT CRAP YOU HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT.

666
    XES

• Lori

Alcohol disinfects. So the vodka makes sense. I wonder if other alcoholic beverages would work also. I do not drink, and would be embarassed to purchase that stuff, but it sure beats the chemicals in most hand sanitizers.

But on the other hand, a visit to your local health food store and you'd have a hand sanitizer without chemicals. I googled it and found these links:

• jojo

Just like over the prescribing of antibiotics, people need to be careful about OVER sanitizing everything because your body will lose its ability to fight germs on its own (I'm willing to bet that those that use a lot of hand sanitizer find themselves with colds or the flu on a regular basis)...if you have to use this stuff 8-10 times per day, you might need to consider having OCD. Wash your hands after you use the restroom, before you handle food and before you eat...or working outside...you know, COMMON SENSE!!

Hand sanitizer was designed to be used when there was no water available for traditional handwashing, now it seems to have become a national obsession, like so many of the various sprays for countertops, or "sanitizing the air by encapsulating the odors", oops, and don't forget to spray the inside of the refrigerator (while fully stocked with unwrapped produce items), or all over junior's highchair while he's sitting there (it's SOOO safe you can do that) Hello? Has it dawned on anyone that you're breathing in all of these chemicals, or rubbing them all over your skin? Less is definately more.

• Vickie

LOL at Steve.. Remember the story about the inmates that were drinking the stuff now we know why..

• Lynn

A fetish is an object that causes sexual excitement. It's not a replacement for obsession or compulsion. I am sure the writer doesn't want people to envision her getting turned on by clean hands or sanitizer.

• Susan

Angelita, did you ever think that perhaps Craash's birthday is April 20th?? You can't just assume things like that.

• Rita

Jojo, she said that they are using it because they are home nurses!! I have home health care and if a nurse did not wash or sanitize their hands I would NEVER let them touch me. Would you? Just wondering.

• Lis

She prolly drinks it when the kids give her a hard time

• Barbara Aki

I practically invented sanitizers when my children were toddlers back in the eighties. When someone came out with it, My chidlren said " Mom you should have had a patent on it. I agree their are many other safe ways you can sanitize. Lemon is a known sanitizer, so is apple cider vineger, cayanne, and the list goes on. One just has to be safe and creative.

P.S. If you are out eating and your forgot your hand sanitizer ask the waitress for extra lemon. Follow it up with hand lotion

• Rita

Jojo, she said that they are using it because they are home nurses!!
    I have home health care and if a nurse did not wash or sanitize their
    hands I would NEVER let them touch me. Would you? Just wondering

• Rita

Jojo, she said that they are using it because they are home nurses!!
    I have home health care and if a nurse did not wash or sanitize
    theirhands I would NEVER let them touch me. Would you? Just
    wondering

• Rita

Jojo, she said that they are using it because they are home nurses!!
    I have home health care and if a nurse did not wash or sanitize