How to safely clean your LCD screen

Filed Under: computers and internet

Special care must be taken when handling an LCD screen, especially when touching or cleaning it. First and foremost ... avoid touching the screen. No really, don't touch the screen. Ever!

Evidentially I haven't repeated that enough in my house. Right now, I'm looking through the glare of a number of tiny fingerprints (again.)

Apple's website, recommends cleaning LCD's by turning off the computer (or display) and wiping the screen with a damp, clean, soft, lint-free cloth. Paper with water only. This works ... but only if you've never touched your screen. Basically this method gets the dust off, and that's about it.

For getting fingerprints (or worse) off, try a simple 50/50 mixture of 70% isopropyl alcohol (Apple does not recommend this) and distilled water. Mix the liquids in an empty spray bottle. Next, turn off your screen, dampen a microfiber cloth with your 50/50 mixture and begin wiping the display–gently–from top to bottom. This should do the trick.

Source

• Andy

That, with some persistence, also removes Sharpie ink from the screen. It does not remove the sorrowful look from a toddler's eyes as she rubs.

• Lou

I believe the Apple article linked specifically states that you should NOT use anything that contains alcohol or ammonia. Most folks tell you to avoid anything with vinegar like the plague as well.

I've got what appears to be a "bruise" spot on my MBP screen, so last week, I took it to see an Apple Genius at the store near work and after a few questions, they told me not to use alcohol either. That's nothing to do with the problem on my screen, but let me say again: No ALCOHOL.

I don't know why, but don't do it. Apple sells these little cleaning kits that are supposed to be just the thing. I don't know what's in them but it's a much safer bet than anything Apple explicitly says not to use.

As for my "bruise", the Apple guru told me it's usually the result of more than reasonable pressure on either side of the flat screen. It was pretty clear that there were no scuffs on either side of mine, and I'm still under warranty (plus the APP) so it will be covered - as soon as I can figure out how to survive for 10 days without my MBP. Maybe I can just get used to it?

• Bob Williams

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with this - you should never use an alcohol-based product around your notebook. I have seen way too many burned-in swipes across screen from the old days when they had integrated trackballs and people used the trackball wipe on their screen.

Standard Windex works fine, and will not harm you screen.

• Tanya Ryno

It works for me ... hopefully I'm not damaging my screen. And, because you now have me nervous ... here are two other sites that agree with using Isopropyl Alcohol.
    1. Geeks are Sexy
    2. eHow

Please continue sharing what works for you!

• Gizmo6257

I have always used Windex on all my laptops. I have done this for years, and never had a problem. It works well too.

• John

My firm manufactures high performance LCDs - we settled on Windex after trying many types of glass cleaners. Be careful what you apply it with! Paper towels can cause scratches - soft, washed cotton cloth is far better.

• cillaray

I just use the wet wipes I buy for my glasses.

• Ric Hanna

Wet wipes for my glasses work fine.

• seaglasshunter

I believe there is nothing better for these screens than Spring Water. Other waters have chlorine in them from treatment plants, along with other minerals. This is a very soft porous medium and should be treated with care. NEVER use Windex. The standard one contains ammonia and it dulls plastic on stoves and fridges so can you imagine what it will do to your screen? Go gentle... and keep food, drinks and hands off it!

• Donna

I have purchased from best-buy monster screenclean and it truly does the job. and it is alcohol-free

• Donna

I take a soft kleenex, wet it slightly, wipe gently over the screen, allow to dry. Next you will see dull looking dry spots, now get another clean ex. Now gently (BUFF) off all the dry spots, for a beautiful clean and bright screen that look brand new. I clean my keyboard with clear unscented baby wipes.

• Mama Dee

I take a soft kleenex, wet it slightly, wipe gently over the screen,
    allow to dry. Next you will see dull looking dry spots, now get
    another clean ex. Now gently (BUFF) off all the dry spots, for a
    beautiful clean and bright screen that look brand new. I clean my
    keyboard with clear unscented baby wipes.
    ----------------------------------------------