As far back as I can remember there has always been a box of Cheerios in our house. Cheerios are not as glamorous as some of the more sugary cereals, but for better or worse they are a staple in many a household. However, I recently learned that Cheerios can be used for so much more than just a cereal. From what I can tell, most of the uses stem from the fact that Cheerios are made from oats, and the oat is a highly diverse grain. Read on for some useful and entertaining uses of Cheerios.

1. If you are suffering from a smarting sunburn, simply toss two cups of cereal in the blender and pour the mixture into a warm bath. Soak in the water and get some relief from the burn.
  2. If you are in need of a moisturizing facial, simply apply a combination of ground up cereal, lemon juice and honey to your face. Let the mixture soak into your skin and wash off. The Cheerios act as an exfoliant and will leave your skin feeling smooth and fresh.
  3. Skip the traditional Rice Krispie treats and try Cheerio treats instead. The fun O shapes are sure to be a hit
  4. I also had a friend in college who got super creative and used his hot glue gun to create some wicked cool Cheerio sculptures. The end product feature towering columns of cereal that while not at all edible due to the glue, they were very original.
Do you have any unusual uses for Cheerios? Or any other cereal for that matter. If so, please share them with us here at DIY Life.

• Sue C

My brother in-law Doug makes fried Cheerios. He melts butter in a frying pan and sautes the Cheerios. He then adds salt and puts in a bowl. I thought he was crazy until I tried it and it really tastes great. Very similar to popcorn without the crud stuck between your teeth.

• cathy

I ran out of fish food for my japanese coy and large goldfish in my pond in my backyard, so my little boy brought out the box of

"cheerios" and that went nuts!! Ive ben feeding all my 60 goldfish and coy cheerios for 4 years now.

P.S.
    they are getting huge!! And look pretttty healthy too

• arlene

For a great snack. Pour some cheerios in a bowl, add a large spoon of peanut butter, some choc or butterscotch topping and a large spoon of cool whip. Mix. Tastes like reeses peanut butter cups.

• Peggy

I spray a little vegetable spray on them and then shake on my favorite herbs or spices and stir to make a delicious, different snack when I have the munchies.

• dee

It must have been a slow news day at Cheerio's Central...what a bunch of silliness. Let me know when you need an article about, say...Rice Krispies! Now there's a topic we can really sink our teeth into! Waste of cyber space!

• John

I have been using two cheerios as eye compresses instead of cucumber slices for years. There is a 1/16 inch diameter circle in each of my eyelids that my friends say look ten years younger.

• Peggy

I spray them with a little vegetable spray and then shake on my favorite herbs or spices to make a different, delicious snack when I have the munchies.

• Debi

Cheerios make a healthy replacement for a candy necklace, your child can string them on an elastic thread.

• Tracy

At Christmas time everyone in my house sits around and makes garland for the trees outside.
    In a day lots of birds enjoy the presents we gave them.

• Bev

For a kids project have them put cheerios on a string and make a big
    long string and when completed, tie the ends together and hang on a tree branch for the birds. Keeps them busy and they learn to feed and watch birds.

• laequip

which you obviously read Buttermaker.

• MISSY

I USED THEM TO POTTY TRAIN MY SON. I TOOK 3-4 AND THREW THEM INTO THE TOILET AND TOLD HIM TO TRY TO SINK THEM. IT WAS FUN FOR BOTH OF US. IT ONLY TOOK ABOUT TWO WEEKS TO POTTY TRAIN.

• Darla

Great Snack: Take a tall glass, Cherrios in the bottom, cover with chocolate syrup, then vanilla ice cream....repeat layers and enjoy!

• Bud

Noone has said anything about just how good they taste and are for you. I add berries or bananas or both and have a super breakfast. Sums it up for me, yummmmm !

• Carneil

A lady who helped in our five-year-old Sunday School class found that she had let her Cheerios become a bit stale. She brought the box of Cheerios and brightly colored strings for the children to make "bird feeders" to hang in the trees. A novel idea. The children loved stringing the cereal for the birds.

• marilyn

Honey nut cheerios are a great snack for dieters. They're sweet and crunchy and you'd be surprised how much 3/4 cup actually is. Add half an apple and you can be in dieter's heaven.

• ericsmusclecars

they are good for tubing if you are a fly......

• ericsmusclecars

they are great for tubing if you are a fly.......

• aubery nicholas

thay make good carp bate

• Maria Krug

My daughter uses Cheerios to train our hamster. She'll now come running down from her perch when she hears the cellophane bag open. We use a potato chip clip to keep the bag closed tighlty so they don't go stale. I used cheerios in place of chex for a really great snack mix too!