How to Cut Hair

Filed Under: household hacks, Know-How

Skip the salon and save money by cutting your own hair at home.

Yes, I'll call something like "cutting your own hair" a household hack. That is, unless you plan on doing this in public. For those of you who want to try and duplicate that $25 haircut with a little ingenuity and some elbow grease, why not attempt a self-haircut?

For guys, this is a no-brainer. Haircuts for men, for the most part, are pretty straightforward and very easy. Not so much for the girls, but I'll move on.

I've cut my own hair for years now, with a Wahl clipper, a mirror and some masking tape for tapering the sides. In fact, many of my strategies are similar to the details described here. If you'd like to save quite a pocket full of change (guys, I'm talking to you) and become an expert at looking at the back of your head, head over here and decide if you're really into this. Advice: go slow and avoid mistakes (well, duh!).

[via Styledash]

Source

• Ben

I've been cutting my hair for almost two years now. I started out with cheap "home haircutting" clippers and a 1" all over buzz but later upgraded to a professional set of clippers and do a 1/4" buzz.

I figure since I like my hair short there's no reason to pay a professional to do the exact same cut. With a guard on the clippers as long as you get everything, it's pretty hard to mess up.

• L

I used to only get my hair cut at salons. I remember being asked by hairdressers "Did you cut your own hair?!" I was so surprised that THEY REALLY CANNOT TELL IF ANOTHER PROFESSIONAL CUTS YOUR HAIR OR IF YOU DO IT YOURSELF! Also, I got tired of paying 40-50 for a cut that I didn't like and sometimes they wouldn't give me what I asked for. I finally went to the beauty supply store and invested in some professional scissors and I love how my hair looks now. I also color and high light it myself and save thousands of dollars a year! The products out there now are so much better than years ago and you can really do a professional looking hairstyle at home.

• pete

just cut my own hair for the first time.

Words of advice:

Get a good size hand held mirror.
    Good clippers (I got a Wahl clipper kit for 25 bucks @ Walgreens)
    Go slow but don't hold back (it grows back)

• ivanp84

"For guys, this is a no-brainer." I can 100% confirm! I never before even take into account, but after small research today I decide to try. Thanks Brian!

• Drysdale

I have cut my own hair since I was 9. I am 63 now. Got less to cut now, is the only difference. Still, better than a so-called pro!!! BTW, Scissors only, and a comb. Clippers stick and make mistakes too fast.

• jade

hello i just wanted to ask u sothing..i want to cutt my own hair for the 1st time, i have long hair and it starts at my face and gets longer so i would say thats somewhat layered.. the easyest way i can find is to put it up in a ponytail and then cut it..but doing it like that u will get layered..so can i still cut it the same way if i all ready have layered hair... i just want my hair to be sort but not too sort..plz help

• Pat Teglia

I find that the clippers, provided you use the clipper across comb method, doesn't present me with too much of a problem, and I keep my clippers oiled up pretty well, so they don't usually stick. But, to be honest, they both get the job done pretty well, just up to you which you like better.

I will probably do more articles in the future on more scissor oriented cuts. So keep your eye on it.

What is this you are talking about with the tape? Tell me more!

Thanks for the cool review,

Pat Teglia

• robert  w arnold

....velly velly intellesting....hmmm

• Fran

I have cut my own hair for years. I have the advantage of having somewhat curly hair, so it doesn't show too many mistakes. I prefer my own cuts over the stylists cuts. Once every few year I do go to a stylist and have them straighten out my mistakes, but for the most part it looks okay.
    I also used to cut my husband's hair.

• Allan

I've been doing it for years with one of those $1.98 razor holders they used to sell in the five & dime for razor cuts. Also use a pair of barber thinning sissors and regular barber sissors for the side burns and back. I have an extremely thick full head of hair (even at 63) so you can't really tell if I made an error. NO, I never cut my ear off.

• mary

wish i could cut mine and my husbands hair

• Roberta

I started cutting my own hair after several stylists cut it to their own specifications rather than mine. I always looked too-too. Now, I can only blame myself. I trim my hair every week using sharp scissors and a back-view mirror. Looks great after a fresh shampoo and dry.

• Mary

When I was younger and working I used to go to the beauty shop all the time and get my hair done, and was never very happy with it. Sometime in the 1980's I saw an ad on TV for a machine called a "Flowbee", for cutting your own hair. I ordered one, and from the first time I used it I was so pleased. I have had not let anyone touch my hair ever since. That Flowbee is great, and sometimes I trim my husbands' hair for him. I have saved a ton of money by doing my own perms and cutting my hair myself.

• Faye

I have cut my hair for at least forty years.I think I do a good job and
    others tell me so. When my husband was living,I teased him about how
    much money I saved him.

• LA

I AM A LICENSED HAIRSTYLIST AND I CAN SPOT YOUR HACK JOBS A MILE AWAY, WANT TO KNOW THE REAL SECRET BEHIND A GOOD CUT? FIRST OF ALL DON'T PAY SOME JONATHAN OR VIDAL OR JOSE A MONTH SALARY OR MORE CUT YOUR HAIR THEY ARE ALL HYPE. YOU CAN FIND A GOOD STYLIST AT YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD CHAIN SALON FOR A REASONABLE PRICE. THEY ARE ALSO UP ON THE LATEST COLORING TRENDS AS WELL. I KNOW A GIRL IN THE 'HOOD WHO DOES THE BEST FADES FOR $8. CELEB, HAIRSTYLIST ARE BLOWN WAY OUT OF PROPORTION.

• NORMA

I HAVE CUT MY HAIR SINCE I WAS JUST A VERY YOUNG GIRL AND WHEN MY BOYS CAME AROUND THEY NEVER WAS TO A BARBER SHOP NOR MY HUSBAND EITHER, I AM NOW 82 YRS OLD AND STILL DOING MINE AND HUSBAND REFUSES TO GO TO THE BARBER SO HE HAS ME TO DO IT.

• jersey girl

--I am 58 years old, and look 38 ( thanks to good genes) But I must admit I have Never left a beauty shop happy with my cut or color, and I don't go to cheap places I go to mid priced shopes. either the color is good or the cut is just Ok--I always have to come right home and redo it myself.
    It's so furstrating!!--is there anyone that really knows how to color and cut out there with out havig to pay an arm and a leg anymore??
    Helpless in Nj

• M.E. Williams

I have very long hair that I wear up, so I cut my own hair a lot. (It matters most that the front looks cute.)

The Mister also cuts his own hair - he shaves his head with clippers every few weeks. I like his hair about 1/2" or so long, but he hates it, and always knows it's "time for a cut" when I compliment him on the length!

• jade

i have really long hair too. i never cut my own hair put want to try it now.. but need help on how to do it..i been watching videos on dong it i like the one were u flip your hair up side donw. and put it in a ponytail and cut it..well doing that it will make layereds and i all ready have some.. cuz my hair is past my chain and then gets longer. but i do got long straight hair...plz help

• Phoebe

i am 29 years old, have blonde semi-straight hair, and ever since i have started cutting it myself, i freaking love it. and i'm no goth chik or weird asymmetry-lover. i AM, however, an artist. so i thought one day "what the heck, give it a try..." i've been cutting my husband's hair for a few years and people are like "WOW". so i did mine, made some layers by holding the hair in sections between my fingers. not to brag or anything but it looks HOT. only now i have regret over how much $$$ i have poured out to various hairdressers prior to this revelation.