milk, jugs, recycleDid you know that there are millions of plastic items floating around out there in landfills? Kind of a sickening thought, huh? In my tiny town of 385 people, we have a recycling transfer station and for the items we don't reuse, my husband takes them in about once a month. Hey, it's a tiny house and even though I try, I just can't use everything.

You can keep your plastic milk jugs out of the garbage and the landfills by reusing them for everyday household organization and storage, in your yard and garden and basic toys for your kids. Try out some of these ideas.

1. Make a cheap, easy and convenient bird feeder.
  2. Use them as a seed starting container by cutting off the jug about 3 inches from the bottom and poking small holes in the bottom for water drainage. Fill with potting soil and some seeds.
  3. Poke holes in the bottom of the jug and use as a watering can for your garden plants and flowers.
  4. Cut into strips and use a permanent marker to make plant markers.
  5. Cut the bottom and part of the handle off and use as a scoop.
  6. Cut off the bottom of the jug, poke a hole at the top of the handle and thread heavy wire through into the soil and use as a protector of your plants from the hot sun or inclement weather.
  7. Use as floaters for your kids when they are swimming or in the water. Tie a string to each handle and then tie around your child.
  8. Cut the bottom off and use the top as a funnel.
  9. Cut a hole opposite the handle and use as a storage container for almost anything. Works great for storing golf balls, nails, screws, and rubber bands and probably a thousand other things.
  10. Cut out a hole opposite the handle and use to store your plastic bags.
  11. Save them for when you need water. This works great for me when we forget to let the water drip in the winter and wake up to frozen pipes. I just run down to a friends house or to my dads house and fill up the empty jugs with water. Sure beats melting snow, cause you don't want to know how much snow it takes to make a gallon of water!!
  12. Cut the top off and use the bottom as a catch all container for things that don't have a permanent home.
  13. Cut a hole near the top and use to store your toilet brush.
  14. Use to store dry goods such as rice, coffee, and sugar.
  15. Cut a 1/4 inch slit near the top of the milk jug and use as a piggy bank. Decorate your new penny saver however you wish.
I love all these ideas and have tried the majority of them. I haven't tried the piggy bank yet, but I think that it is a great way to get my toddler involved in some of my projects. What are some of the ways you recycle your plastic jugs?

• SHOEBUT2

MAKES GOOD BOBBER FOR SHORT SET LINES FOR CATFISH. CAN WATCH FROM SHORE AND WHEN ONE STARTS BOBBIN OR GOING UNDER YOU HOP IN THE BOAT...

• LAURIE

SOME OF THESE SOUND PRETTY CRAZY,BUT I DO SAVE WATER IN THEM DURING HURRICANE SEASON.WE ALWAYS KEEP A FULL ONE IN THE CAR TOO,IN CASE WE NEED TO PUT IT IN THE RADIATOR OR THE WASHER FLUID RUNS OUT.AND A FROZEN ONE IS GREAT IN A COOLER.

• Don

Your comments: To Paul T.---Couldn't agree more with your comments, particularly that
    there are inexpensive, durable, commercial products available for
    almost all of the uses discribed. Who in their right mind would use
    them for kids' floaties? And to TC, a "choking hazard"? My (butt)!!!
    How about they slip off, or break off, your toddler's arms, and
    suddenly you see two milk jugs blowing acroos the lake, sans your
    kid!!! Only a moron would think this is a good idea. Don
    ----------------------------------------------

• SHARAN J. HILL

If you can stand the temporary noise factor, plastic jugs or bottles seem to be a favorite of my husky puppy. It is probably BECAUSE of the noise, as he seems to tire of them shortly after "deflation"; however, of all the numerous expensive toys I have purchased, he always gravitates back to these (whether they're empty or not. Thus, Fair Warned!!).

• LAURIE

SOME OF THESE IDEAS SOUND PRETTY CRAZY,BUT I DO FREEZE THEM TO USE IN A COOLER AND I FILL THEM TO KEEP ON HAND DURING HURRICANE SEASON.ANOTHER USE I HAVE IS KEEPING A FULL ONE IN THE CAR.YOU CAN USE IT IF YOU NEED TO FILL YOUR RADIATOR,OR USE IT IN A PINCH WHEN YOUR WASHER FLUID RUNS OUT.

• smarterthanU

I can't wait unitl you get sued by some poor family whose child drowned because Anna Sattler told them it was safe to use milk-jug floaters to protect their life in the water. Hope you sleep well at night baby-killer.

And another thing, to all the retards posting about the rope being a choking hazard: Rope is not a choking hazard, its a strangulation hazard. I'm leaving now, if I have to read one more stupid, poorly written comment i'll have to get a gun and electrocute myself to dealth.

• smarteepantz

Wait, jussi ties them to an ANIMAL AND THROWS IT IN THE OCEAN???
    Just recycle the damn thing, it's better for the environment than your "use."

I know my mom would put water in an empty jug and put egg shells in there. Once a week, she would go around the house and water all the indoor plants with the water (apparently, egg shells are good for plants? I don't actually know). She would also cut the jug at the bottom and place under the smaller pots to protect the carpet/flooring.

Now, for the folks who are ragging on these ideas as white trash, especially the ideas that are more arts & crafts (i.e, the piggy bank), these aren't meant to be "use the item until it falls apart). These are simply ideas for finding additional uses for everyday products, using a little creativity. I'm thinking specifically about the piggy bank: who cares if it only gets $1.37 then is recycled? It's better than going to the store, buying a whole new plastic container and having the kids decorate that, only to be tossed, so you end up with double the trash. If you can come up with arts & crafts ideas for kids using everyday items, then the kids can learn a little something about ingenuity, reusing/recycling, and that not everything needs to have a single purpose. Like that's a really bad thing??

• EARL

THEY MAKE GREAT FLOATS FOR DROPPING FISH MARKERS WHILE OFF SHOURE IR DEEP INSHORE FISHING. ALSO GOOD LINE MARKERS IF A LIGHT STICK IS PLACED INSIDE WHILE NIGHT FISHING TO KEEP A EYE ON A LONG LINE IN THE OCEAN CURRENT.GREAT TO SAVE BUYING ICE FOR THE COOLER,CAN BE DRANK WHILE MELTING IN THE FL. SUMMER FISHING SEASON, ALSO GOOD FOR WATER STORAGE IN PREP FOR HURRICANES, IF FROZEN EVEN BETTER AFTER YOUR POWER GOES OUT FOR 6-14 DAYS.

• EARL

CORRECT MY TYPING,,,, OF SHORE OR DEEP WATER FISHING

• jaime

camcam you made me laugh...thanks.. i myself prefer to scoop up my dogs crap with a long handled scoop so i am as far away as i can be from the pile.. i think most of these ideas are silly but if you want to entertain children on a rainy day then go for it. but for floaties or toilet brush holder ..no thanks..it would be better to recycle them so they can become new milk bottles, or whatever

• Ashley

this is stupid...just throw them away

• Tony

Yeah these are some real cool uses for old milk jugs....

If you want your kid to get laughed at and called poor.

• betty

FLoaters!?!? seriously!? haha. Sadly, I can see someone getting sued for typing this article, and some brain dead parent acutally uses TWO milk jugs to try and float their child in the water. Really safe.
    Was this even thought through before typed up!? I agree, we should be focusing on recycling, rather than creating more of a mess. One those things no longer serve their purpose you know they are going to end up in the trash can, as opposed to being recycled.

• Karen

.....and for Christmas, insert color lights thru them and hang them around your trailer......need a lot more for a double-wide!!!!!

• Cathy

We cut the tops off and use them for ice buckets...either to keep in the freezer or on the table to add into our drinks. Especially great if you dont have an ice maker!

• karenhp7

Floaters for kids might be alright in a pinch, but please don't tie anything to a child that could possibly fill with water and take them with it to the bottom.
    I do have to admit I keep a jug with another one attached as a funnel so I can toss change into it. I keep it in the closet, where trashy looking things like that belong.
    Our elementary P.E. teacher collected empty jugs and brooms and played "milk jug hockey" in class. Fun!

• glenn

Thank you. you are inspired!

I will not recycle at least a dozen containers because you have given me ways I had not thought about to use them.

Budda/Gaaia/ and I bless you,

Dr. Glenn

May your Karma elevate your soul...

• Shannon

As a swim teacher for over 20 years I also have to say that using the jugs as floats is a bad idea. They can be used as toys in the water but not for flotation PLEASE!

Back in the day we would use them in our water arobics class as weights (add water in them) but even that is bad for your hands after only a short time.

I like some of the other ideas. Very clever.

• suzanne

READING THESE COMMENTS IS THE BIGGEST LAUGH I HAVE HAD ALL DAY! YOU ARE ALL PRICELESS! TOMLINSON STOLE THE SHOW THOUGH!

• bEcKy

I can't understand telling people to tie these stupid milk jugs to their children!!! HELLO!!?!?? What are you thinking???!!

THIS IS NOT AN OPTION! DON'T RISK THE SAFETY OF YOUR CHILDREN BY RE-USING MILK JUGS AS FLOATATION DEVICES!! BUY SOME CHEAP FLOATIES, AND THROW THE DAMN MILK JUG IN THE TRASH!!!!!!!