shoes on a wire hangerWhile your new fall wardrobe may never see an old wire hanger, you probably still have some hiding in the back of your closet. Most of my clothes are hung (when they are hung!) on wooden or plastic hangers. The back of my closet, and admittedly, the floor, still overflow with old wire ones. It's time to put them to use.

1. Shoe hanger
    Bend up each end of the hanger and it will nicely hold a pair of shoes. This is particularly useful for some of your nicer shoes that you don't want scuffed around on that hall closet floor. You'll need to allot them some closet space but it will keep them clean and organized.
  2. Go fishing
    I'm not suggesting you use an old wire hanger as a fish hook! You can use it to make a net. Bend the hanger into a circle and stretch old pantyhose around it. The children can take this to look for little fish in a stream, or sift out seashells at the beach.
  3. Unlock car doors
    While this is most successful on TV, it will still work on some older model cars. Stretch the hanger as long and straight as you can with a hook on the end. Reach down between the window and door until you feel the latch. Pull it up and you'll unlock the door.

If you've locked the keys in the car with the window slightly open you can use the hanger to fish them off the seat and bring them through the window.
  4. Unclog drains
    Wire hangers are great for unclogging drains, both toilet and sink. You can go fishing around in the drain and try to remove the obstruction.
  5. Radio and TV antenna
    I'm sure many college students are tinkering with their old TV, trying to get reception where it doesn't seem possible. Wire clothes hangers are great, and unlike regular antennas they can be manipulated in just the right way to optimize reception. Adding tinfoil will go a long way here too.
  6. Mobile
    This could be a really fun project for an older sibling to make for the new baby. Use the hanger as your base and attach string and decorations. Colorful ribbons, or bells and seashells would work well. You might also like to hang pictures of family and friends from the mobile. I know you don't need me to say it, but I just can't help myself: Make sure you secure everything really well so baby doesn't choke.
  7. Bubble wand
    This is another fun one for children. With your help the hanger can be bent into any shape and used as a bubble wand. Pour bubble soap into an old ice cream lid or other large shallow dish, dip the wand in and have fun.
  8. Hang your clothes
    While it sounds like wire hangers are a thing of the past, there really isn't any harm in using them on most of your clothes. It may distort the shape of a delicate sweater, but if you're like me, there are far more T-shirts than pretty sweaters in the closet, and wire hangers will do just fine for those.

Those are just a few of the uses for wire hangers. I spared you the slingshot and modern art, but I have to leave something for the comments. Let me know what uses you've found for the old hangers kicking around your house.

• SDLKRNTIMUXRZ g8590D8S68008

Before the days of power car door locks,a coat hanger was good way to get back in your car if you locked your keys inside

• laurie

I've straightened out a wire hanger and used it to unplug my vacuum cleaner hose.I also cut them to certain lengths to extend plant hangers,hang up my parakeets cage,hang a bird feeder in a tree,you name it.Staighten the hanger,cut it shorter if needed and curve each end.

• TrayCee Rupolii

I use wire hangers to make miniature Christmas trees every year for Christmas and then I either sell them or give them to assisted living homes for each resident to have a tree in their room. You put them with the hangy part in the center with one arm thing pointing upward and one downward I use 5 of them and create a triangular figure and tie them together. Then dress with string of lights garland and miniature ornaments. I usually glue gun them on the garland so as the tree can be stored easy and reused every year. They turn out very cute and some have been even beautiful. I have been payed as much as 80.00 a tree, with the investmet of maybe a dollar for the hangers and 3 maybe 4 dollars for the lights garland and ornaments. It takes me about 30 t0 40 minutes to complete a tree. I get the hangers at our local dry cleaners. They are usually very happy to just give the hangers away.

• John S

I don't understand this either. I think a picture would be helpful.
    God Bless...

• jodi

I have made these also..... great for a nursing home room, or for an older person who does not want to mes with a big tree!

• Fay

Well you might be a red neck if...But years ago I seen my Daddy use an old coat hanger to temporarily tie up a muffler that had fallen of a car, also I have a plate hanger that my Grandmother made out of a wire coat hanger. I think people use to be more creative with what they had around the house.

• Nazonee

I used to be a troop leader many years ago and they make great Christmas wreaths. Just make a circle of the large part and then take 3 inch by 2 inch strips of green tissue paper. Fold each strip in half and slide the fold over the wire and twist. Keep going until the wreath is full and then add glitter, sequins, etc. Add a big red bow to the hook end and hang where you like.

• steph

like laurie, i've used wire hangers for hanging baskets, but also to make topiary shapes.

• Pam

I have used them to unlock my bedroom doors, straighten it out and it works! Also. to anchor a wreath or plant in the ground at the Cemetary.

• dee

My sister clipped near the neck part of the hanger so she could store her hair scrunchies, then she added an old belt and looped it through the top and let it hang so she could store her hair clips (claw type) then hung it on the wall in her bedroom. It looks real nice and she dosen't have to ramble through a draw for them anymore.

• Bart Anderson

I have used old clothes hangers bent into a "S" shape to hang pots and pans off of my overhead pot rack. It sure beats the heck out of running down to the kitchen wares store when adding a new pot or pan to your collection. They are also very good for roasting hot dogs over a grill or camp fire. Just make certain tape up the handle end with another multi-tasker such as duct tape to prevent heat transfer to your hands. I'll bet Alton Brown hasn't thought of this idea yet!

• Judith

Our a/c man bent the hook inward or removed it and then placed the triangular wire in each corner of the a/c vent where the filter goes. It prevents the filter from being sucked up and out of place. Especially if you use the cut to size filters.

• ben

My friend taught me this one. Straighten a wire hanger out but keep the hook part as is. Begin to bend the wire a few inches beneath the hook. Bend it until it forms a flat line about two inches long and then repeat. This makes a great tie holder. Two ties will fit on every curved area holding almost 20 ties. Hope this helps

• Kathy

We used to get netting and cut it into strips 4 to 5 inches long and let the children tie them on hangers (they had brought from home) until the hangers were full, then wrap a matching ribbon around the hook, starting where the hanger twists together, all the way to the end and back again and make a bow at that point. Then the children would take them home to their mohers for Mother's Day. Inexpensive and renews an old hanger, making it useful for sweaters.

• Helen Cano

I took the coat hangers and cut the 2 wings off, making 2 "staples" and pushed them thruogh the bottom of the garden ferce to keep those pesky woodchucks and rabbits from crawling under the fence and into my garden.

• Ann

My favorite use for a wire hanger is to make a mobile paper towel hanger. I cut the bottom wire dead center, insert a roll of paper towels between the two cut ends and hang it up wherever I'm working. I have one in the garage, in the laundry room and in the shed. You might need to bump up each side angle a little, but a little tension on the paper towels keeps them from unrolling until you're ready to use them.

• Larry

We use wire hangers in lieu of brazing rod. Works great

• Linda

Use number 9: Strike fear into the hearts of your little ones by reenacting the "No Wire Hangers" scene from Mommy Dearest. :-)

• Bowes

Helen Cano's idea about making big "staples" out of hangers is also a great way to keep dogs from digging out of a backyard. You make about a 4" wide long staple out of a hanger that has been unbent into a straight wire. The legs extend far enough down into the ground to discourage most dogs.

Also, hangers are soft basic iron. They make great, free gas welding rod. I have welded with them for 45 years, and any welder since the beginning of time knows this trick.

• Herald

Has anyone else used a straightened coathanger as a marshmallow/weiner toaster?