Improve your mood with 11 tasty foods

Filed Under: food, in the kitchen

fresh blueberriesIt's time to ditch the excessive supplements and energy drinks and start using natural foods to increase energy and elevate mood. It doesn't take much, and you'll be feeling better and have more energy to take on your next project. Kick-start your day with these 11 mood-lifting foods:

1. Milk
  2. Chocolate
  3. Whole grain rice or pasta
  4. Mackerel
  5. Broccoli
  6. Coffee
  7. Turkey
  8. Liver
  9. Blueberries
  10. Brazil nuts
  11. Any food that tastes good

Check out the full article for details on these foods and reasons why they are each beneficial. Add some of these to your daily diet and you'll immediately notice an improvement. These incredible stress busters will have the added benefit of tasting great. After the break I'll point you to some meal ideas that easily include these 11 mood lifting foods into your diet.

1. Milk
    So, you're not a fan of milk. You're not alone. Some easily down 3 glasses a day, but others need a little coaxing. The simplest way (and a great way to get the suggested chocolate) is to turn your plain while milk into smooth rich chocolate milk. Another suggestion is pairing it with whole grain cereal.
  2. Chocolate
    Boost your happy hormones with a bite or two or dark chocolate. Keep a bar in the fridge and allow yourself a little late afternoon pick-me-up. You'll feel like you're sneaking a treat, but you'll also get the benefits of this natural stimulant.
  3. Whole grain rice or pasta
    This whole grain pasta with wild mushrooms sounds like a delicious way to get your whole grains. Look for interesting hardy recipes, especially if you're feeding a family who might not be used to whole grain products. Try this healthy macaroni and cheese. It is a terrific way to get your children interested in whole grain foods.
  4. Mackerel
    So, you've decided that tonight you're going to try serving mackerel, but you have no idea where to start. This spiced mackerel takes less than 30 min to prepare and will give you exceptional flavor along with fatty acids for brain food.
  5. Broccoli
    You probably know a handful of ways that broccoli is done in your house. Check out a few more and mix it up a bit. Broccoli soup is a favorite at my house. You could also try it steamed with lemon zest, or in a leftover casserole.
  6. Coffee
    You know how you like it. Enjoy, but take it easy.
  7. Turkey
    These smoked turkey tortilla wraps sound great. Turkey sandwich meet is a great way to get this healthy meat when you're in a hurry. Just be careful not to fall asleep at your desk after eating your sandwich!
  8. Liver
    Liver. What to say about liver? This is a tough one to sell, but the benefits are convincing. Swiss style liver and onions sound like a great way to enjoy this meat.
  9. Blueberries
    There not around much longer, so get them while you still can and stock up your freezer for the coming months. Blueberries are great on top of cereal, in pies or in smoothies. Sprinkle a few on your salad and your brain will thank you for this quick stress buster.
  10. Brazil nuts
    Brazil nuts, or any nut really makes a great snack it you're on the go. Store a baggie of nuts in your glove box and you'll have them handy when you need a boost.
  11. Any food that tastes good
    Finally, make good food choices, enjoy what you eat and you'll be fine. Sticking with natural mood-boosting foods will go a long way toward better health and happier living.

Source

• LESLIE

"Yor"????...Are you kidding?! Is this a typo. or is this texting talk? How did this article get past all the editors, etc. with this spelling error?

• Carol Bayard

About your list of mood lifters: Milk is poison and nobody should have it. Read Diet for a New America by John Robbins;Chocolate is okay if it's dark chocolate;whole grain pasta w/mushrooms- fine as long as there is no butter involved, Earth Balance margarine is really tasty and healthy; Mackeral is a no -no because it's a flesh not advised on a vegan program; Broccoli - great again without dairy; Coffee- not so hot ever but especially if it has caffeine; Turkey - another no-no same reason; Liver - same; Blueberries- terrific - one of the best anti-oxidents; Brazil nuts - terific; Any food that tastes good- very questionable.

I think you mean well and I applaud that but again I suggest you read any one of John Robbins books starting with the one I mentioned.

• LK

does the title seriously say "improve YOR mood?" wow.

• Alann

Replying to LK: Wow backatcha! It improves MY mood just knowing someone else notices misspellings and faulty usage!

• sondra

normal person you cracked me up when I needed a good laugh. Good for you

• jw

Milk depresses me...but ice cream is a fel good food that makes me feel better. Milk makes me cold feeling and crampy and worsens any sad spells. It's also the WORST thing to consume right when my period is starting or before...terrible cramps and depression. Other times with a good meal it can be good or a sip with a taste of cake or cookie to balance the sugar acid and relax and have energy at the same time.

• Joe Typo

Could someone tell me why milk is poison?

Also Carol, are you a five year old? Because your spelling seems to say that you are. A list of your typos:
    Mackeral-Should be Mackerel
    Anti-oxidents-Should be anti-oxidants

P.S. You sound like a know it all in your comment.

• Karen

vegans are perfect they don't need mood lifters right? Mind you own buisness and let people enjoy the meat and dairy they want and need.

• Harry

13 Foods That Fight Depression (In No Particular Order):

Chocolate
    Ice Cream
    Fudge
    Brownies
    Marijuana
    Macaroni & Cheese
    Butter
    Pop corn with salt and butter
    Chocolate Pecan Caramel Clusters
    Donuts
    Fresh Apple Cider (from a cider mill)
    Beer
    More chocolate

• Ravensong14

When looking at liver... it makes me extremely GRATEFUL that I'm not having to eat it... improves my mood dramatically!

• Carl

13 Foods That Fight Depression: ( In no particular order) Chocolate, Ice Cream, Fudge, Brownies, Marijuana, Butter (on anything), Macaroni & Cheese (with lots of butter), Pop corn (with butter and salt), Donuts, Fresh Apple Cider (only if from a real cider mill), Beer, More chocolate

• DJ

Carol - I agree with "Normal Person" -
    you are a hindrance to my way of living,
    as well as to others, so just SHUT YOUR
    MOUTH UP & KEEP IT SHUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• CJ

Coffe is not a mood lifter. Caffeine in coffee increases stress and increases pulse rate. Caffeine in coffee causes increased anxiety, too.

• Ben

Got Milk? Damn right!! Milk does a Body Good. At 54, I drink milk. It comes from a cow, girl, as does CHEESE and Yogurt, which I love too. And turkey is a SUPER food for Men. Tomatoes and anything made with is EXCELLENT for Men's hearts. Be a veggie is you wish. But I'm going to enjoy my life and eat Chocolate, drink coffee, herb tea and steaks, too! Maybe that's why I'm still 165 and have been since college. Hiking up and down SF hills 6-7 miles per day helps too. Blueberries and blueberry/green tea, too. Alcohol sucks, and that glass of red wine for dinner thing?? I don't even bother. It's 420, I gotta go!! Cheers!! P.S. Mickey D's and all those fast food joints? I wonder how they stay in business. I get sick just walking by one, all thaat grease in the air, mixed with gasloine fumes from cars and trucks and SUVs, or have they changed to another cutesy name?

• sue

be careful about keeping any nuts in your car. they turn rancid pretty quickly. nuts should ideally be kept in the fridge.

• Vasiliki

You gotta be kidding? Seriously?? Nuts can turn rancid when left in car?? Hmmm. I normally shelves nuts, like almonds, walnuts, and pecans...yummy to go with brownies or raisins in banana or cinnamon breads! Milk, can't live without it, can always go for organic milk or soy milk..or whatever, as long as they do body good! Amen to chocolate raspberry yogurt, and chocolate cherry pudding! REAL Tasty on the go!

• caaarivera

Carol Bayard
    I don't agree with all your points you made. Although I've heard the debate about milk, some say it’s good and some say it’s bad. I'm not a vegetarian or a vegan, but I'm not against it either. I say most things (not all) are good in moderation. You said that margarine is good for you. Most doctors say it's not and clogs your arteries. But a little margarine is still ok in moderation. I guess you will never find all doctors or all people agreeing on what's healthy and what's not. As for the immature fools who criticized you. Ignore them because they are acting like they are 5 years old not realizing we all have a different opinion. The main reason they criticize you is because nobody wants to be told about their bad eating habits, speaking habits, etc. etc. We live in a society where people never want to be corrected. What you should have said was:
    1) Continue to fry your brain with Marijuana until you can’t pass any job interview except for a McDonalds interview. Hee-hee

2) Eat as much chocolate & ice-cream that makes you happy until your teeth needs more fillings or drop out your mouth by the next dentist visit. Live it up, that’s why they create dentures anyway.

3) Also join the ranks of VERY FAT Americans who have diabetes & high cholesterol and whom are addicted to ALL their morning medications. Let’s be honest, that’s why they create medication anyway, for stupid people who like to live it up and max-out! Yahooo! Most people who eat bad like this can NOT even fit their FAT BUTT in an airplane seat without wiggling around (yes airlines, charge them 2 seats please).

3) Finally as you wobble your fat butt to the hospital and you check-in with tubes hanging out your arms suffering in pain. Just lay back and close your eyes and imagine you’re eating more chocolate and ice-cream and then think to yourself: Wow! I sure did really enjoy my life very MUCH! More pizza please!

No wonder health care in America is a big business and at an all time high. Stupid people do stupid things!

“To Each His Own” Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha