How to Avoid a Headache

Filed Under: miscellaneous

man with headacheMSNBC brought us this article titled How to stop a headache before it starts. The tips take a little planning and some discipline, but are relatively easy to implement right away. You'll wonder why you didn't spare yourself the headache sooner.

Starting with first thing in the morning, and encouraging you not to snooze longer than an hour, they list how to avoid a headache in eight drug-free steps. The full article offers explanations behind each suggestion. It makes a lot of sense and can go a long way toward managing a pain free day. Here are the eight steps:

1. Abide by the Alarm
  2. Get Caffeinated
  3. Do a Posture Check
  4. Break for H2O
  5. Skip the Sandwich
  6. Take a Time-Out
  7. Slip into Your Sneakers
  8. Wind Down Slowly

You might be spending your day sitting at a desk or with a preschooler on your shoulders, either way, if you're prone to headaches, these tips will help you stop them before they start. What do you think about these methods? Share your own tips about avoiding headaches in a DIY and drug-free way.

Source

• John

Drug free? Yeah, if you skip step 2. Don't get me wrong, I'm a serious coffee lover, which is why I have to laugh at "drug free."

I'm a chronic headache sufferer as well and I've talked to multiple doctors about it, and I have to say that, while I haven't tried everything on this list, some of it sounds like quackery. Also, wasn't there a recent study that proved that "good" posture, as prescribed by this article, was actually not good for your spine?

• M.E. Williams

John - I'd like to see that study, I have so many back problems! (Not that I have "good" posture. I was in a car accident a few months ago. It seems almost certainly true that sitting, even sitting up straight, is not a natural position to maintain for hours on end - walking or being flat on your back are better, preferably in alteration!)

It's just never good to hold a position, even if it's "good posture," with tension. Muscle tension in your back and neck is a pretty sure way to get a headache.

Awesome article, Francesca! :)

• Tim

Good advice. Something I have learned over time is to avoid MSG if I have skipped a meal. It seems MSG creates headaches when ingested on a completely empty stomach.

• Anna Sattler

I'd like to see that study too! I was born with scoliosis, which stunted my growth, and I have had a metal rod in my back, attached the length of my spine, since I was 13. I have had it for 21 years. Not a day goes by that I don't have some back issues, or get a headache. Thank God for coffee!
    I love this article, Francesca, thank you for posting it! Back pain is nothing to sneeze at. Constantly moving is a good thing. If you sit too long, your muscles think that is a great position, until you move, that is.
    Take it from someone who knows all about headaches, and migraines, these 8 tips are beyond excellent!
    Oh yeah, doctors aren't always right. They told me I would never carry a child to term, I carried 2 and they are/were both perfectly healthy.

• Ana

None of these work with people with migraines. Especially if you have sensitivity to smell, which give some people headaches and not necessarily migraines. Have suffered all my life. Tried everything.

• Rebecca

Get caffinated? Yeah right. Coffee makes me shake and I can't stand the taste, I hate tea, and my doctor has me on Topamax which makes carbonated beverages taste horrible. Coca Cola is my favorite drink and I haven't had one since April, which IS torture, and believe me I'm tired of water. Do you know how limited your drink choices are when you go to a public place these days? And what do they mean by skip the sandwich anyway? If I don't eat I'm more prone to having a headache. All the rest I already do and I have some type of a headache every day. So much for the study.

• Rebecca

Your comments: Get caffinated? Yeah right. Coffee makes me shake and I can't stand
    the taste, I hate tea, and my doctor has me on Topamax which makes
    carbonated beverages taste horrible. Coca Cola is my favorite drink
    and I haven't had one since April, which IS torture, and believe me
    I'm tired of water. Do you know how limited your drink choices are
    when you go to a public place these days? And what do they mean by
    skip the sandwich anyway? If I don't eat I'm more prone to having a
    headache. All the rest I already do and I have some type of a
    headache every day. So much for the study.

• naomi

Hi, I find that there is power (even for backaches) in the name of Jesus! He knows all about affliction and pain, for He suffered for us. Just say the name of JESUS, and mean it, and He'll come to your rescue every time. Love Him with all of your heart and He will fulfill the greatest desires of your heart! Give this a try!

• rolfe pedersen

I'v got two words for fixing a headache (migraine)
    Relpax
    Imutrex

• naomi

Hi, I just say the name of Jesus and headaches, backaches are relieved. Jesus suffered all of our infirmities and He is able to help us with ours! Just say the name of JESUS and trust Him to help you, it's that simple! Trust Him to provide all of your needs. He never fails!

• Naomi

Hi, I just say the name of Jesus and He is right there to help me! Try it, and mean it with all of your heart & soul. He suffered anything you may suffer and He's so loving and forgiving that He helps when we have a need. Just say the name of JESUS and He will come to your rescue. Happy forever!

• Lori

I have found that Excedrin Migraine works better than anything else I've tried. The trick is to take it at the onset of your headache, before it gets too bad. If you do this, chances are your pain will go away completely or at least subside to a mild, tolerable ache. I've recommended this stuff to all of my headache suffering friends and they can't thank me enough.

• Mea

Maybe some of these might help a person with a regular, everyday headache, but none of this is going to help with chronic migraines. I have been taking Topamax, which is supposed to "prevent" migraines for 4 years now - for a different medical problem, and it has done nothing for my migraines. I have several medications that work, but Zomig and Maxalt are the best. I keep one of the chewables by my bed because sometimes I awake with a migraine so severe that I cannot open my eyes or move any part of my body. Excedrin Migraine? I might as well eat an M&M!

• Lisa

I have had migraines for years. I get adj., from a chiropractor which has realy helped but I am still on Topomax and (Relpax only on rare occassions). Aspartame (nutrasweet) also triggers my headaches so I only use splenda. Most comes from my herniated disk. I am soooo thankful I found most of my headache causes. Your solution might help some with a once in a while headache but too many people have more than tension headaches. I am going off Topomax I am starting to have too many of the side effects. Beware: Very, Very. tired. Trouble concentrating, Tingling in arms or legs. Take the time to read!! Hope the article helps someone!!

• LORRIE H

I've been reading your comments and I have to say I suffer from migraines regularly and chronic back pain. Some of the ideas can help at different times when other factors aren't interfering. As for the suggestions of the readers voicing their opinions. They are just trying to offer their ideas on the topics. What may work for some may not work for others and vice versa. That's the great thing about MEDICINE. What might work for one person may not work for someone else or give them terrible sides effects. We are all different. No one knows what might work for them until they try something....trial and error.

• LORRIE H

PS It's usually a combination of factors that set off a migraine. There are things that you can do to alleviate some of the pain. The same goes for your back pain. Lifestyle changes...