22 ways to use petroleum jelly

Filed Under: in the kitchen, miscellaneous

my jar of petroleum jellyDid you know that petroleum jelly has been around since the late 1800's? It can be used as a lubricant for all sorts of little jobs around the house. I use my little jar of petroleum jelly to lubricate the annoying hinges on the doors of my bathroom sink, for coating my chapped lips in the winter, and even dab a little on my toddler's bottom when she gets a little too red.

Gomestic user Darlene McFarlane has compiled an awesome list of uses for petroleum jelly. She writes about everything from removing water rings on wood to using jelly to shine your shoes. How about using Vaseline to protect cuts and scrapes? It works just as well as Neosporin, in my opinion. It works wonders as a moisturizer, especially if you have sensitive skin like I do. I get really dry skin on my hands and feet, so I slather them with a layer of petroleum jelly and put on socks, allowing the jelly to be absorbed into my feet overnight. Voila, in the morning I have nice soft footsies. I do the same thing with my hands. Yeah, I know, it isn't the most romantic thing in the world to do, but I can get away with it on weeknights since my husband works second shift and I am sleeping by the time he gets home. Check out the rest of what Darlene has to say, I am sure you will find her list just as useful as I do.

Source

• Maureen Carter

I really like many of the ideas but #21 has to be my favorite. That one made me laugh.

• DJ

FOR ALL YOU PEOPLE SPOUTING OFF ABOUT 101 USES FOR VASELINE, DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT IT IS OR WHERE IT COMES FROM??.

IT'S A HORRIBLE PRODUCT TO PUT ON A HUMAN AND SHOULD NOT BE. IT'S ACTUALLY WASTE SLUDGE FROM OIL WELL RIGS THAT PUMP CRUDE OIL OUT OF THE GROUND. IT WAS DISCOVERED BY A MAN WHO WORKED OUT IN THE OIL FIELDS IN TEXAS I THINK IT WAS, AND HE USED TO SEE BUCKETS OF THIS CRAP EVERYWHERE AND THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE GOOD FOR A FEW THINGS, AND THAT'S HOW IT GOT STARTED. IT'S A DANGEROUS PETROLEUM BASED PRODUCT AND IT'S HORRIBLE TO USE ON HUMANS IN ANY WAY, LET ALONE CHILDREN!!!!!

• rosanne ferrante

Actually, it is amazing for people suffering form excessive dry skin and itchyness all the time. So for someone who hasn't got that problem it is easy to say it is awful but for someone who has to suffer with terrible dry skin it is a god sent. It is the only product that works wonderfully for dry skin. If you read articles coming from the medical views on vaseline it will tell you that it is great for dry skin.

• wolflove

Petroleum Jelly in it's raw form was a curse to U.S. oil drillers in the late 1800's. It had a paraffin like consistency that stuck to the shaft of their rigs and caused them to seize up. The chemist, Robert Cheseborough created a gel by distilling thin oil rendered from the raw material the drillers liked to call "rod wax."
    so dj had you checked out the list you might have seen this

• jessica

Petroleum jelly is NOT some horrible, hazardous product! Oil is a natural resource and it is a biproduct. Not everything natural is good for us and not everything synthetic is good or bad for us either. Petroleum jelly goes through purifying processes and testing just as many other products too. It isn't like the Vaseline company just scapes off some "sludge" and puts it in a container. Just because fossil fuels are burned excessively and have damaged our environment does not mean its biproduct cannot be healthy or useful to us. Petroleum is an ingredient in almost all skincare and cosmetic products. There really is no proof that petroleum jelly is harmful to one's health, and there are plenty of scientifc studies that show it causes no harm to humans young or old. These products have been used for a very long time safely. Vaseline does have many great uses.

• cps

Well to say DJ is totally wrong would be easy to say but, unlike DJ, I looked up the history of petroleum jelly and found out it was initially discovered in Pennsylvania not Texas. Sorry Texas you can't be blamed for this one. The goo you refer to was called rod wax back in the late 1800 and was discovered by Robert Chesebrough, a chemist from England, who was visiting America. He was trying to find replacements for things like whale blubber and goose grease. It took him 10 years to refine the product to what we know now as Vaseline. As far as uses on people including kids... well it would be difficult to find almost anything that does not have a oil background to it that is a salve or medicine unless you go back to goose grease or whale blubber. Remember that oil is just earth process plant life after millions of years underground and under pressure and heat.

• Karen

To the guy who obviously had a bad experience with vaseline...or just woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Yes, vaseline was discovered off somewhat the way you said. But the inventor came up with a way to make the same thing, in a clean safe way. I laugh that you would even suggest that is dangerous or harmful. Its probably one of the safest lubricants on the market. No perfumes, dyes etc. I really suggest you read a little bit more about petroleum jelly before you start your anti-vaseline protest.

• Karen

To the guy who obviously had a bad experience with vaseline...or just
    woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Yes, vaseline was discovered
    off somewhat the way you said. But the inventor came up with a way
    to make the same thing, in a clean safe way. I laugh that you would
    even suggest that is dangerous or harmful. Its probably one of the
    safest lubricants on the market. No perfumes, dyes etc. I really
    suggest you read a little bit more about petroleum jelly before you
    start your anti-vaseline protest.

• John Brooks

Dangerous? Now THAT is funny, considering you entered this on a computer, which has far more "dangerous" products and processes for its manufacture and use than petroleum jelly. In fact, the only really dangerous use is...no, never mind. You wouldn't understand.

Or maybe you would.

• lee

i use it when i fart, it makes the farts slide right out

• Bob Maxwell

Okay, so Vaseline is "all natural". Does that really mean anything? Let's see, the list of "all natural" stuff would include anthrax, the venom from snakes, spiders, box jellyfish and stingrays, poison ivy, AIDS, cancer, Ebola and lots of other really nasty things. Including stupidity! But then, all these other "natural" things have been proven bad for you over the years, while Vasoline has proven itself beneficial. So slather it on!

• John

This is one of the problem with blogs...uninformed people put up comments that are, as in this case "their opinion", which are totally uninformed and bad advice.......I am referring to the comment about Neosporin and Vaseline being just as good to "protect cuts and scrapes".....the REALITY of it is that while Petroleum Jelly may act as a barrier, Neosporin contains THREE antibiotics that are especially effective against anaerobic bacteria, the type of bacteria that often finds its way into cuts and scrapes....of course Petroleum Jelly has no antibiotics.....

• cheral

that's right? i mean... yeah... that's right! what dj said!

• EDDY

I HAVE A BETTER USE FOR THIS STUFF BUT I AM NOT ALLOWED TO PRINT IT...

• Jacksprat

Petroleum Jelly is great for battery cable ends, battery posts and great stuff for your trailer hitch ball, protects it and is good conductor of electricity.

• Susan

PAHs. PAHs, or polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, are common contaminants in petrolatum, also called petroleum jelly and sold under well-known brand names like Vaseline. Petrolatum is found in one of every 14 products on the market (7.1 percent of the products assessed by EWG), including 15 percent of all lipstick and 40 percent of al baby lotions and oils. FDA restricts petrolatum in food to no more than 10 parts per million, and requires petrolatum used in food packaging or drugs to meet impurity restrictions for PAHs (21 CFR 178, 21 CFR 172.880).

• debbieanne

heh heh hehh , no u didint stop watching madea family reunion u nuckle head, i watch it over and over, my husband said why ,how can u watch it over and over, it makes me laugh every time, good one though, just for humor to these comemnts about vaseline, come on what about - ashy skin ,better than some fake lotions

• Lori

It's excellent for minor burns from cooking, etc.

• RN

Vaseline is not recommended for cuts, scrapes, burns, or on diaper rash (or any compromised skin condition) as it is not water soluble, and can increase bacteria.
    It is a good barrier, and lubricant.

This is irresponsible advice on the part of AOL.

• Thel

Another product. Horse linament is excellent as pain remover for muscular aches or arthritic pains.