Getting Rid of Dust Mites

Filed Under: cleaning, preventative maintenance

Dust mites are a leading cause of allergies. Learn tips to kill and get rid of dust mites in your home.

dust miteDIY Maven combines the best tips from Reader's Digest and Garden and Hearth and brings us this great list of 10 ways to dust proof your house. First it's important to treat dust as a health hazard, rather than simply a cosmetic issue. If we're looking at dust accumulation as a aesthetic thing, then it's easier to put off or devalue. If we think about all the ways that dust can affect our health, it's a little harder to ignore. Many people have allergies to dust mites, some don't even know it.

So, what exactly is a dust mite? Well, it is pretty nasty. According to the Ohio State University Net Wellness site, the dust mite is a microscopic, spider-like creature which is found in homes. It is primarily in carpets, mattresses and upholstered furniture and thrives in humid and warm conditions. The dust mite feeds on shed scales from human skin! The waste products produced by these mites are highly allergenic (able to cause allergic reaction). These waste products continue to cause allergic symptoms even after the mite that produced them has died.

Convinced? That definition alone is enough to motivate me. Getting rid of carpeting seems to be the biggest suggestion. Carpet is prime living space for dust mites. You'll have to be particularly diligent in your cleaning if you have wall to wall carpeting.

If you're not ready to revamp your whole house in fear of the dust mite, then make some small changes in the bedroom. You spend a good chunk of time in bed, and a healthy bedroom will spare you the allergy attacks. Rotating your bedding often, keeping your closet clean and avoiding heavy drapes is a great place to start.

If you've been looking for an excuse to tear out that dated carpeting, now you have one. Call it a health crusade, and pick out some beautiful hardwood!

Have you made changes in your home that eliminated the constant battle against dust? Share them in the comments.

Source

• william Schmidt

I concluded that the computer was acting like a huge vacuum cleaner sitting on the carpet. While the rest of you guys focused on the traditional dust solutions for the rest of the home I focused on the Computer Dust Solution as I really think the dust that I vacuumed out of my PC was a health problem for me as I am always on the computer. You would not believe the crap that I sucked out of there. To prevent the problem from occuring again I bought a rigid plastic computer cover called the Valley TM Computer Cover. http://thompsonplasticvalley.com they have a good strategic white paper that you can download in adobe from the website to learn more about the dust mites and harmful atmospheric dust that the cabinets filter from the air purifying the inlet computer air. The box has its own fan and ar filter which also captures pollen and other alegerns. I have many allergies and with the dog and the cats at home I noticed a big difference this last summer in 2007. The Valley Tm computer dust cabinet is made by Thompson Industries. The world's leading light in a dust free computer tommorrow.

• nick

Hard to get rid of them....any suggestions ? I have tried "Good Night Sleep" I bought at Home Depot but it does not kill them...they keep coming back
    Today I ordered DUSTMITES from www.natlallergy.com ...will try and hope to eliminate them for ever

• Candy

Ok we just moved about a month ago and my daughter and I just started breaking out on our hands and arms mainly. We've been to the doctor's four times now and they keep telling me fleas, but we haven't seen any fleas in my house at all plus or animals are outside. Now my living room and bedroom is made up of wood walls and wood ceilings like cedar or somethng. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think. I have a total of four people in my family and only two of us are infected by this. We itch like crazy constantly and have used all kind of prescribed creams and med. nothing helps. I've cleaned top to bottom and still no relief, please help

• Rhonda

wow! i found the best way to get rid of dust mites over 20 years ago and it still works great! I use a Rainbow water trap vacuum. I use it to clean my home and the mattresses and pillows. It has saved me thousands of dollars because I don't have to buy new ones as often. It drownes the little buggers and is better than any other vacuum because it never lets anything escape back into the air and never clogs up! My son is Autistic and asthmatic and has had no problems since I started using it and it lasts a lifetime since it is so well made!

• Dragon1

Bill I also purchased a Cleanstation air cleaner! Wow you are right it really does work. The rep actually confirmed how much cleaner my home was after 1 week of usage. Thank you for the advice.

• Jayson

The CleanStation air cleaner is great. I used cheaper air purifiers but never really got rid of my dust mite allergies. I purchased my cleanstation from The Pure Air Store, their number is 1-877-424-7774, they had a buy one get one free offer!!! I put one in my bedroom and one in my living room. It has made a HUGE difference.

• Bill

I got a Clean Station Air cleaner. It has made a big difference in our home. Always feels clean and no dust. We actually bought 2 of the Clean Stations. Very Happy

• Ben

I had installed a new airconditioner TRANE with a Clean effects electronic filter ,99.8% effective.It does what it claims.

• Doug Phillips

The Dustmitex product by The Ecology Works is excellent for killing dustmites. Check out their website at http://www.dustmitex.com

They also have an active group at Gather.com see http://allergygroup.gather.com

• nick

I ordered from www.natlallergy.com 25.95 for 2 lbs instead of 31.95

• Katherine

There is a product that is sold by allergen supply companies that you put in your wash with your bedding....kills the little boogers........very inexpensive

• leigh

Dust mites hate eucyluptus also-I used to get frequent sinus infections and couldnt breathe because I had an allergy to dust mites then I started putting Vicks inside my nasal passages at bedtime. Eucyluptus is an ingriedient in Vicks

• nick

This is what I use...Vicks you are right they don't like that !

I have ordered DUSTMITES hopte it will help last week I tried BORAX on carpets I feel a litle bit of difference

• Smitty

We did the house one step at a time. First, bought HEPA air cleaning filters. Second, bought HEPA filtration for home HVAC system. Third, bought Nilfisk vacuum cleaner. Fourth, NO carpeting and NO drapes. Switched completely to laminate flooring/tile/hardwood. Three Day Blind got a big bonus when we ordered our window coverings from them. We only ordered vertical as these do not hold dust as much. Fifth, bought encasments for ALL pillows, mattresses, and box springs. Sixth, whatever else in the house was upholstered we gave away and bought in leather. Seventh, all stuffed animals are off limits in the kids bedrooms and are vacuum dusted/air dried every three months, no exception!

This, plus following our allergists treatment guide has helped everyone tremendously.

Thanks!

• Chasta

Once a month I wash my walls and ceilings down with white vinegar and hot water. Also, when I wash my bed sheets and curtains I add white vinegar to the load.

• Kathi

Children's stuffed toys can be a big source of dust mites and many cannot be washed without distroying your little one's favorite toy. Simply slip them in a zip-loc bag and place them in the freezer overnight. The cold will kill the mites without messing up the toy.

• Larry

You forgot to mention: TAKE YOUR SHOWER AT NIGHT BEFORE YOU GET INTO BED!

• Larry

Sorry this may be a double post, BUT! TAKE YOUR SHOWER AT NIGHT BEFORE YOU GET INTO BED!

• JOEL

I have the ultimate solution , BURN THE HOUSE.
    We have been leaving with mites , mold for millions of years , recently everything is dangerous , get a life and stay clean....

• maryann

Bill, what is a Clean Station Air Cleaner? Cannot find any info anywhere. I dust & vacuum everyday, and it never feels clean...help!! Thanks...