Make your own air fresheners

Filed Under: household hacks, in the kitchen, cleaning

pretty pink potpourri in a glass bowl
I really dislike coming home to a stinky house. When I walk in my front door, I fully expect the air to smell wonderful. After all, I am a stay at home mom, and it is my job to make sure my home smells clean and inviting. If it doesn't smell up to par, you can be sure that lil ole me will suffer a hissy fit, while frantically trying to eliminate the odor.

Remnants of last night's supper, yesterday's dirty diapers and that smelly kitty litter box can all be forgotten by making your own air fresheners. Chrisjob over at Curbly.com has compiled a list of things to do with items you should already have stocked in your fridge and pantry. Vinegar makes a great deodorizer. Citrus peels make your garbage disposal smell wonderful. You can make any room smell good by dabbing a few drops of essential oil on a light bulb.

Chrisjob also offers you links on how to make your own potpourri and how to make your own paper air fresheners. I don't know about you, but I need my home to smell wonderful since I am in it almost 24 hours of every day. Taking the time to make sure my home smells inviting to others certainly makes me feel like I am a decent housekeeper, even if there are dirty dishes in the sink.

Source

• Krystina

I am super hardy when it comes to pollutants, I've exhibited animals all my life in fairs and elsewhere, sometimes being in a barn from 8 am to 8pm for 4 days full of chickens, rabbits, goats and whatever else you can think of. I've even had a full blown cold in these conditions and it didn't put me out of commission. But air fresheners? No way. They ALL INSTANTLY give me a headache. What does that say about the chemicals they put in them? I'm especially adverse to the ones that have timed "spritzes". These little wonders give me a migrane so bad. Fabric softeners, and other "smell good" things always give me a headache. And this is all coming from a person who has no allergies, can be around pet dander and dust all day not get a headache. That stuff is evil.

• Jules

What about good old baking soda? I buy the jumbo bags at Costco and put it down on my rugs before vacuuming, into my machine when I launder the towels, it de-funks the disposal in the sink, etc. Plus it's safe and eco-friendly. The best stuff is usually the same stuff grandma used!

• Lassie

I really can't stand 99% of the sprays and plug-ins sold in the grocery stores, they smell so fruity/flowery and cheap. And the lengths they are going to, to sell you this stuff! CD machines and fans and all kinds of stuff, anything to part a naive shopper from their money. I find Lysol Clean Linen scent bearable. I open all my windows to air the place out, every day, summer and winter (with the heat off, of course, and only for 15 minutes in a snowstorm). No smoking inside, take out the trash as needed, keep up with the kitty litter box, cook broccoli and garlic smelly things as early as possible and let the house air out after. Really, good hygiene keeps a house smelling nice, not sticking something in an outlet or spraying, that only adds another smell on top of a bad smell. Now, if you're talking about specifically doing something to make a room smell good, I found nothing, nothing beats a light bulb ring (found in arts and crafts stores near the potpourri and candles) with a couple drops of essential oils in it. And get a good essential oil, you can find them in the health food section of your grocery, or in new-agey type stores - but you get what you pay for! My favorites came from Crabtree & Evelyn shop in the mall, there are several and they bring out new ones every Christmas. Also where they sell expensive bags of potpourri, there are sometimes essential oil 'refreshers', and the holiday pine/gingerbread cookies/cranberry are very nice.

• nikki

i have a guest upstairs that cooks wonderful meals... but, the smell of garlic finds its way downstairs... and fills up our home with garlic... and other pungent smells... anything we can do down here, and not hurt his feelings upstairs?

• Nancy

Are you seriously going to tell people to put essential oil on a light bulb? Please do not place any liquids on a light bulb. Light bulbs do get hot enough to ignite an essential oil or fragrance. All substances of that nature have flash points. Sheesh!

• kelly

the person said to use a light bulg ring, like they sell at crafts stores....she didnt say to pour oil onto a light bulb!!! you put the oil on the ring, it has a small depression on it, to hold the oil....and the oil soaks into the ring, i think the ring is made from clay or something like that....anyway, i use them and they work great. you can also spray the RING with your fav perfume!

• Shirley Thomas

One of the easiest (and cheapest) ways to keep a fresh clean smell all over the house is the use of (dry) fabric softner sheets, the kind you use in the dryer. I place them under sofa pillows, under the bed sheets, in the linen closet, in the clothes closets, the bathroom, under the plastic of the kitty litter box liners, or in any out of sight location where I want the smell of freshness. They even work great in smelly sneakers when left over night. These sheets come in a choice of fragrances and will last about two to three weeks. I buy them at the Dollar Store for about 50-100 sheets for a $1.00. They have the same effect as the store bought air freshners and they last as long.

• ~`:-joanna

I use "Thieves" spray that I order from Young Living I also use the Purification essential oil that I mix with water in a spray bottle. (just a few drops) It will last a long time. They are natural products therefore no harmful chemicals. Also just about all of the oils can be diffused. They are truly incrediable products.
    You can check them out at http://www.youngliving.com/godsoilswin

• ~`:-joanna

I use "Thieves" spray that I order from Young Living I also use the
    Purification essential oil that I mix with water in a spray bottle.
    (just a few drops) It will last a long time. They are natural
    products therefore no harmful chemicals. Also just about all of the
    oils can be diffused. They are truly incrediable products.You can
    check them out at http://www.youngliving.com/godsoilswin

• Cheryl

I agree with Shirley, I put Fabric Softener Sheets in my closets too. They really work and for a pretty long time. I don't like any strong smells either. Even the smell of nail polish bothers me. I think I'd be afraid to use a light bulb ring. I'll have to research that more.

• Nancy

Kelly, she actually said "You can make any room smell good by dabbing a few drops of essential oil on a light bulb."

That's dabbing a few drops on a light bulb. She didn't say anything about using a ring.

• JustinOpinion

I only have 1 question for the writer of this article AND all the other people I hear complaining that their cats litter box smells. WHY?!? Don't you people clean it out whenever it's used? How filthy are you? Whenever anyone comes into my house they always comment on how they never know that we have cats until they see them, BECAUSE they can't smell a littler box. Get it together people! I'm betting you're the same people that don't want to waste water so you don't flush your toilet after every use either! EUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

• jue

why do people have kitty litter boxes they are the most discusting things ever cats should do there business outside

• Michelle

my mom bought a mini crock-pot from k-mart/walmart (they both have them and they are like 11.99 or less) and she fills it up with that smelly stuff from the 99 cent store and plugs it in and its WONDERFUL she is a smoker and has a dog and you would never know besides the fact that shes a complete neat freak

• Michelle

• Chrisjob

I am the author of the original post on Curbly. My posts states,

• Chrisjob

I am the author of the original post on Curbly. My posts states,"Lightbulbs. Add a drop of essential oil to a lightbulb ring, and add a ring to each lightbulb in a room. The heat will help it move throughout the space, and it's apparently fire safe." The DIYLife author, Anna, simply summed up the info in a different way. I don't think a drop of oil would even stay on a slick, rounded surface like a lightbulb.
    Also, please note that there is mention of both baking soda and dryer sheets as great ways to freshen your home in the original article, with links for additional uses.
    Cheers.

• Bernie

You guys missed "The Light Bulb Ring" thing. Yes, I have them too in my home. The ring is a ceramic ring that fits over the light bulb. The ring has a groove in it that you place drops of essential oil in. When the lamp comes on, the house is then fragranced and it smells wonderfully. However, my favorite is my Scent Dome that I activate from my computer. It enhances my on-line and off-line experiences. The fragrances of my oils absolutely enriches my life.

• Kitmose

As seen below: this is an excerp from the article at the top of the page mentioning to put essential oil on the light bulb.

• Dorothy

try simmering liquid fabric softener in a pot of simmering water on the stove. It smells lovely keeps the static down in the house, and any guest thinks youve been working hard on the laundry all day long...i use the vanilla lavender Downey. A capful in a small pot of water leaves your house smelling ahhhhhhhhh!