As I was driving along our country roads today on my way into town, I had a hard time keeping my eyes on the road. Our leaves
are such beautiful vibrant colors of red and orange that the beauty of the trees literally took my breath away. I started thinking about all the falling leaves and how much fun it would be to rake them up and then tumble into them with my little girl. It used to be such fun as a kid, and I must confess, it is still a blast.
Since the calendar says it is now fall, it is time to start thinking about making all the Halloween decorations
and putting them out in the yard. Such a decoration would be a scarecrow. Scarecrows
are so easy to make and can be put out now and left up until the first day of winter. Join me after the break to make your own sitting scarecrow.
Put it together:
- A long sleeved flannel shirt
- Old ratty jeans
- Beat up boots
- Work gloves, preferably full of grease or gloves that have lots of holes
- Worn out straw hat
- Baling twine or string
- A stapler
- A carved pumpkin for the head or a burlap sack
- Markers or paint
- Leaves and straw
- Since your scarecrow is sitting, you want to start with the boots and jeans first. Place the boots where you need them to be and stuff the pant legs into them. Stuff the pants with leaves and straw. Put some straw spears around the boots so that the pants stay in the boots. Staple or tie the pants to the boots, if you wish. Do not overstuff, otherwise your scarecrow can't sit down.
- Staple the shirt into the pants and stuff with leaves. Put gloves on the cuffs of the shirt and staple them securely. Stuff the sleeves with leaves. Place some straw spears around the cuffs.
- If you are using a burlap sack, then stuff the sack with straw and leaves and staple to the body. Use a marker or some paint to make a scary face. Top off with the straw hat. Fasten the hat to the burlap with the stapler.
- Carve your pumpkin into a scary face, then attach to the back of the chair with some wire or put a stick through the pumpkin, making sure the head and the body line up properly.
- Position your scary scarecrow as you wish, however would be scariest for you. Sit back and enjoy. If you wish to make your pumpkin puke and really awe your trick or treat guests, then click here to watch Gary's video.