Want giant images for your walls? Try Rasterbator!

Filed Under: kids, art

In a recent quest to give my teenage son's room an older kid edge, I've been looking for cool ways to decorate his walls. Gone are the days when a Luke Skywalker poster was a good image for his walls. However, I am not willing to let him spray paint his walls with graffiti in an attempt to show his independence. So one theme we have settled on is a rasta, Ziggy Marley thing. Red, green, and yellow flame-retardant cloth will drape from his ceiling and billow towards the walls. A large Rasta Man image will adorn his main wall.

This is where my input came in to the process. I've long been wanting to print big images, as in several feet across, broken up into several frames. Recently a friend suggested I try Rasterbator to solve my issues of how to print a large image in several pieces. This site is so easy, even a technically-challenged person such as myself can use it with success.

There is a step-by-step guide on how to upload your images to the site. Once you've accomplished this part, you simply decide how many sheets , and what size, of paper you want to print the image on and then you set rasterbation options such as pixel size and color versus black and white. The program then processes your request and produces a PDF file for your printer. The possibilities with this are absolutely mind-boggling! Not only is it cool enough for a teenager's room, it could be great for just about any wall in the house.

Source

• Paul

I like this idea up to a point.

The really big ones though, its chepaer to go to kinkos and print it there.

I figured out the ink cost on my seutp alone andit would cost 5 times what Kinkos would charge for the same printing.

Now for less than giant, but still rastered.... I like it and its reasonable.

If I still had access to plotters at my previous job though I would likley not even raster.

Having plotters means being able to blow up big pics without rasterizing.

• the_boo

You know your son smokes pot right?

• Victor Agreda Jr

it's funny because you'd think this is the kind of thing computers (and printers) would be great at, or easily do. instead, you used to have to spend hours in photoshop or buy some expensive app to do it... now we have the web, and lots of passionate programmers who need to do stuff :)

• been there

I came here to say what "the boo" did. Your son smokes pot.

• Heather

Hmmmm. Your opinions of my son have absolutely nothing to do with this post and your inputs are sadly shallow. The point of this was to show what a cool thing it is to create large images. It is really too bad that readers have to stumble over themselves in this manner.

• Mark

The only thing to watch out for when Rasterbating (besides going blind, maybe...) is for the almost fully coloured pages, especially when it's your own printer and ink. You can end up printing an entire page of black ink, in which case you would have been better off using black construction paper or something... preview before you print to make sure, or print it at Kinko's, they don't charge you more if you print a fully black page.

You know your son might enjoy a vacation to Jamaica, right?

• Kristina

Seriously, just because her son likes Bob Marely, doesn't imply that he smokes pot.

gee wiz people get a life.

• Skye

They do have lives, and I can tell you liking Bob Marley enough to theme your entire room after him and not smoking pot, is like, Covering your entire room with camel and the marlboro man, but not smoking.