How to de-stinkify your shoes

Filed Under: household hacks, cleaning

stinky shoesWhen a little bacteria moves into your shoes, it's can start a nasty cycle that ends with the shoes in the garbage bin. First your shoes smell a bit, but you can hide it, then the little bacterial friends multiply and you start losing the odor battle. Finally, you condemn the shoes to the garage, and eventually you get rid of them.

With all the wet weather we've been having, it's prime breeding ground for nasty smells. Unless you want to run your shoe shelf like a bowling alley and spray down every pair as they come in, you'll want to find an easier and more pleasant solution.

Dryer sheets to the rescue again. These useful little sheets are traditionally used to soften clothes, but they have a secret super power: the ability to give your shoes a clean fresh smell. Just put a sheet into each shoe when you're not wearing them. Next time you go to slip on those shoes you'll be impressed with the lasting fresh smell. The nice thing about these as opposed to perfumed insoles or other products on the market is that the smell is fresh but not overpowering. You probably already have them on hand, so why not give it a try.

Source

• Mark

Duh! After taking off your hot sweaty shoes leave them sitting in front of a cheap box fan which you keep running until you put them on again. This airs them out and dries them out. Also spray athlete foot spray powder into them and onto your socked foot and bare foot before putting shoes back on. Duh!

• sandy

I recommended chewing crap to some of my co-workers. It worked wonders over that fresh ass in the morning smell.

• tfig

Too Many Rachael Ray viewers ,with the Freezer bit that doesn"t work

• Vivi

Dryer anti-static sheets are great for countless things, shoes of any kind being one of them. You'll be surprised how great your shoes smell when you slide your feet into them the next day. Gives you a whole new feeling about going to work.

• David

I used to have problems with my sneakers smelling really bad after a while... no commercial product could help me. Then I tried a chainsaw sneaker-eaters. I cut both my feet off at the ankles... bam... no more sneaker smell.

• David

I used to have problems with my sneakers smelling really bad after a
    while... no commercial product could help me. Then I tried a chainsaw
    sneaker-eaters. I cut both my feet off at the ankles... bam... no more
    sneaker smell.

• Hpy

The best thing I have found for this problem (with 3 teenagers, it was a problem!) Is scentsless shoe mates. We have ordered enough now that we all have them in our shoes at all times. They absorb odor naturally, and they don't break my daughter (who is allergic to EVERYTHING!) out. They have locker mates too, which my kids love. The email address is SCRABBITZbyAng@aol.com. She can send you the link to the site. In the freezer??? That odor, next to tomorrow night's dinner?!?