Who could dispute that one of the best gifts you can give or receive is the gift with a practical use and that saves money for the recipient? Everybody likes to save money, and the parent of a new baby is certainly no exception. That is why I have always liked the hand made diaper wreath project
. It's a gift that you can make by yourself. It's nearly 100% usable, and it will save that new parent a few precious dollars at a financially stressful time.
Diaper wreaths are easy to create and the project can be great fun. Just follow the steps that I've described here and for some pictures of a diaper wreath project, check out the tutorial at About.com
A package of diapers, a wreath frame, ribbon, possibly some wreath wire or floral wire (bulk twist ties will work), and a selection of baby toys and baby care products.
You'll might benefit from having pliers and scissors on hand.
The project should take about one to two hours.
- Begin by gathering all your supplies together. You should have a package of diapers, a wreath form, some wreath wire or floral wire, a selection of baby toys and baby care items, and a selection of bows and ribbons. It's also nice to have some baby product coupons available to hide inside some of the diapers for extra surprises.
- Attach the diapers to the frame using your ribbons.
- Arrange the diapers around the ring so they're not packed together and not too widely spaced. You want the ring to be full but you don't want it to look pinched. If you have coupons which you'd like to include, just slip them inside the individual diapers before attaching them to the ring.
- Decorate your wreath with the toys and care products. You can attach these decorations with ribbon, but use the floral wire if you want your wreath to be extra sturdy.
- Add ribbons and bows as desired.
You can make your wreath gender specific simply by adjusting your color and item selections. You can also personalize your wreath by adding trinkets such as a key fob or other ornaments which bear the baby's name. If you are making the wreath as a Christmas
present, you might wish to consider adding a "Baby's First Christmas" ornament to your creation. In any case, have fun and be creative with your diaper wreath. The best part of this whole idea is that when you get right to the bottom of it, you are creating a gift that can really be put to good use.