If you are planning on spending some time at someone's house this Christmas as their guest, there are a few things that you should know before you decide to make yourself at home in their house.
The Frugal Law Student has compiled a list of 10 ways to be an excellent guest this holiday season
. It is a simple list to follow, the tips are common sense, and most of all, your host will be happy you now know how to be the perfect house guest.
- Come on time. Really, if you are going to be late, call and say so. You don't want your host getting upset that you didn't have the common courtesy to let them know you are stuck in traffic.
- Bring a gift. Your host will be happy to know that you thought of them when you come bearing gift in hand, especially since you are staying at their house for free.
- Offer to pay for the groceries. If you are going to be eating their food, it is simple common courtesy to offer to pay for your food.
- Keep your area clean. Pretend you are at home, and clean up after yourself. Don't throw your belongings all over the place.
- Help with household chores. Offer to cook, clean up, and take out the trash. Don't wait for your host to say no, just start helping.
- Let them know your schedule. If you are going to visit other family members or long lost friends, tell your host so that they don't hold supper for you. The host will be able to plan around you if you let them know what you are going to be up to each day.
- Ask before you take. It is just common courtesy to ask before you start using things. You sure don't want an unhappy host if you drank all their soda, especially if you didn't ask before you guzzled it.
- Don't overstay your visit. Three days or less is the perfect amount of time to stay. Let your host get back to a normal schedule.
- Strip the bed before you leave. This gives your host one less thing to do when they clean up after you.
- Leave them a thank you note. Let your host know how much you appreciate them opening their home to you, and disrupting their normal routine.
I must confess, I have always just made the bed when I left. I will know now that I need to strip the bed. What do you do to be the perfect house guest? Let us know by leaving us a comment in our new comment section.