fluffy white sweaterSweater pills can be a serious pain to those of us that live in sweaters for many months of the year. Seeing those extra bits of cloth and lint appear on our favorite sweaters at the imperfect time have the majority of us in a tizzy trying to find the perfect way to remove those offensive little bits of cloth and lint.

Before you decide to buy cheap pill removers that don't work very well, try using a disposable razor to remove sweater pills. It does take a little bit of time, but in my experience, it works just as well as the electric clothing shavers. The trick is to go slowly over the sweater with the disposable safety razor, so that you don't ruin the fabric. Since you don't want to remove any more fiber than necessary, it is also vitally important not to press too hard with the razor.

This year, don't cringe when you get a new sweater as a Christmas gift. You can wear your new sweater with pride and joy, knowing that you don't ever have to make it hide in the back of your closet with shame and regret when it has a bit of a pill problem.

Source

• Rita

I was desperate to find a way to remove what I thought were pills from sweatshirt type clothing. I saw the comment about sandpaper and decided to try it. Much to my dismay, the garment wasn't "pilling" at all -- it was actually a build up of lint.

I am happy to say that my garment is now "pill" free. I suggest testing the garment first to make sure it can handle the sandpaper.

• KHR.

I know this is a DIY community... but Piripicchio does the trick. A bit pricey but it works soopah well.

• NK

WAY too expensive! $45.00! If it was a third that price I MIGHT consider it. I've been getting lint off my sweaters using a plastic disposable razor for years!

• johnjmaes

You folks have got to be kidding..................

• Tee

No, not kidding. Much less expensive to do this then to replace a sweater. And like the article says, it keeps an old sweater looking new. :)

• tate

I just use duck tape

• HippieBev

I've been "shaving" my sweaters since before disposable razors were invented. If you have a loose thread, pull it through the back of the sweater and knot it before going over the sweater or it shreds the yarn and clogs the razor.

• Angela

I've used disposable razors for this task as long as they've made disposable razors. I discovered the use after trying it on a couch my cat had scratched little strings and pills onto. It works well and is cheap. The only warning is that if you get bored of the time consuming task, and start goping too fast, you can shave a hole into the clothing.

• susan

This isn't new, I have been using a disposable razor for piles on sweaters for over a decade...Rather spend the $45.00 on another sweater...

• Bennaim

These razors are a disaster to sweaters.
    They cut the fibers and therefore add peeling (peeling is a little ball made of broken or cut (in this case) fibers.
    the only way to avoid peeling is a regular wash and brush when dry.

• nick

DONT BUY CHEAP SWEATERS. SERIOUSLY, MY DRY CLEANER DOES THIS FOR ME AND DOESN'T CHARGE.

• Anita

I just got one of these a part of Christmas...I love, Love, LOVE it!!

• KHR

I wish you didnt post that. I did and people kinda went berserk. (But whatever floats their boat.)

I bought it for my mom a long while ago and she's still all over it! It even has a little brush inside to brush out the mini lint-trash compartment =D

• Edith

have used the razor on piles for years.

• Lori

I started using a double edge razor very carefully 45 years ago to remove balls off knits and any other materials that had a tendency to ball. About 20 years ago Singer came outwith a little $2 brown comb that will remove balls without cutting into fabric. These can be purchased at fabric stores. Also you can use fine grit sandpaper.

• Lana

Geez, Louise, Anna Sattler! Did you just fall off the turnip truck? Disposable razors have been used for removing sweater pills since they first appeared on store shelves!
    Tell us something we DON'T know!

• barbra

...on some fabrics, not necessarily sweaters, an emory board or fine sand paper work well, too...

• Linda

I saw this trick on a craft show and tried it, it works great. I've told all my friends but I tell them not to use a new razor, it's too sharp. I prefer an old razor. It works great and less of a chance of cutting the material.

• Stephen

It works best if you are not wearing your asweater when you are doing this. OUCH!

• Susan

To (somewhat) prevent balls on sweaters: Don't wear a coat, but if you must, wear one that is smooth on the inside. Also, don't wear your pocketbook on your shoulder, the strap causes balls on the shoulder and the handbag causes balls wherever it lies.