Laptop repair: reattach a laptop key

Filed Under: fix-it, computers and internet

Get your magnifying glass ready. Or your patience, at least. For this is one pesky task, my friends: reattaching a laptop key that has popped off.

I experienced this particular mishap first-hand a few months ago. An over-enthusiastic terrier used my laptop keyboard as a spot from which to vault to the windowsill. Grr. The good news is that even with my non-techie abilities, I was able to fix the problem myself. However, there was a fair bit of humming and hawing involved as I figured out how to click back into place the teensie-weensie plastic hinges that keep your laptop keys click-clacking.

I wish I had known about this -- LaptopRepair101's fine instructions for reattaching laptop keys, complete with excellent close-up photos demonstrating each step. Check it out. Oh, and here are some important facts up-front: Lesson 1: the aforementioned teensie-weensie plastic hinges are actually called key retainers. Lesson 2: if you don't get them repositioned just so, your key will be useless for all time. Lesson 3: be gentle. They are super-fragile. Lesson 4: If you need a replacement key, don't bother calling your computer's manufacturer. Unless you've paid for a tech help plan, they don't care. Instead, search eBay for a replacement key.

Source

• Joe

Did a search after my schnauzer/westie launched herself onto my lap, holding laptop. Three keys went flying. Nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem. Danged terriers....

• Aricka88

the same ting happened with my pug....

• diane.rixon

Ha ha ha!! Yes, terriers - they go wherever their little feet will take them!!

• Carla

Found this today doesnt look as if its been updated but here i go to give it a try: unlike those with enthusiastic pets, I was replying to emails and my nuber seven key popped off.. got my mag. glass, and neon sun flashlight, only to discover, one of the (tiniest to mankind , I'm surre) tabs at the bottom (there are two one on left and one on right) of the plastic (key retainer?) broke.. I can get they key back on and use it, but it keeps popping off again. can i get just the plastic pc somewhere?

• Gerry

I appreciate the instruction on replacing a key but my problem is that I spilled water on keyboard... I unplugged and turned it off immediately ad turned it upside down to dry out... it wasn't much water. Now there are five keys that do not work. Is there a way to fix those keys. I am thinking that whatever makes the contact is broken.

• Julie

You don't have to replace the whole keyboard if some of your keys fell off. There is a key replacement company I ordered my keys from. They have video tutorials on how to fix your keys. And its very simple. Have a look: laptopkey.com

• Sarah

Hey Julie, Thanks for the tip. I used http://www.laptopkey.com to order my replacement key for my laptop and it fixed perfect. Thanks a ton!

• Laptop Freak

If for some reason you cannot fix the key, most likely you'll have to replace the whole keyboard. These laptop service manuals will help you to remove and replace the keyboard.

• Laptop Freak

Sorry, but for some reason the link wasn't attached to the firs comment. Here it is:

• diane.rixon