Sure, spring is just around the corner. But that doesn't mean the there aren't a few chilly nights left in the season. A warm bath tops
my list of ways to unwind when it's cold outside. Done correctly, a warm bath can be the perfect stress-reducer.
So what makes a perfect bath? A few facts
- Ambiance is important. Turn off those harsh overhead lights, and turn on a small lamp or light candles instead.
- Conventional tubs are good, big tubs are better, jet tubs are ideal.
- Though hot water may feel good, it can dry out your skin. Aim for a bath that's no warmer than 104 degrees, and plan on soaking for less than a half hour.
- Soaps can be drying, but plant and herbal extracts are an excellent way to make your bath more "scents-ual."
- Your morning shower is for getting clean, use your bath to relax and unwind.
- A cool water rinse -- if you can stand it -- will close pores opened by the warm water.
- After your bath, moisturize. Wrap yourself in something big and fluffy.
- Finally, get yourself to bed. The temperature rise and fall that you get from a warm bath can lull you to sleep, an easy trick for insomniacs.
There...don't you feel better already?