After reading these quick computer pranks
, I can't tell you how badly I wished my brother lived nearby. We have a long history of playing April Fool's pranks on each other, so long that if the phone even rings on April Fool's Day, we've already got our defenses up. But a prank on his computer? That
I haven't tried before.
April Fool's Day is tomorrow and it's the perfect time to have a little fun with your co-workers. Before you start making a list of victims, however, keep a few tips in mind when playing pranks at work:
- Avoid embarrassing your co-workers or making a disruption at work.
- Think ahead and consider all possible consequences of your prank.
- Don't be mean -- April Fool's Day is supposed to be fun, not an opportunity for revenge.
- Remember that you're a professional -- some jokes just aren't appropriate.
- If your boss is the target, be very, very careful.
- Keep pranks short, sweet, and simple.
So keep in mind that while I'm going to direct you to a few pranks that I personally find hilarious, they may not all be appropriate for your office. (You've been warned.)
- Want to prank your entire office at once? Make all their phones ring at the same time.
- Perplex even your IT guys (for a moment, anyway) with this prank: Put a small sticky note on the bottom of a computer mouse, covering the tracking ball. Be sure to write "April Fool's!" on it before you do. They'll spend a good few minutes figuring out why their mouse doesn't work, and when the finally turn it over...gotcha!
- Unplug a co-workers keyboard or make a few small, unnoticeable changes, such as switching the "M" and "N" key.
- Looking for some funny but completely harmless pranks? Here are a few, including my favorite, putting a rubber ducky in the water cooler.
- On the other hand, if you're looking for something far more elaborate, you could always fill your co-worker's office with post-its/balloons/packing peanuts.
It almost makes me wish I worked in an office, if only for one day a year. Have fun with it, and if you have any great office pranks...please share them with us!