Some people are fanatical about maintaining their ride, and others let problems go on forever because they're intimidated by anything mechanical. But there are some easy, quick fixes you can do yourself without a wallet-emptying trip to the mechanic. Check these out...
- Restoring cloudy headlight lenses - These usually don't have to be replaced at the crazy dealer price. Auto parts stores sell restoration kits to get them looking like new.
- Door hinges that squeak - If your door hinges are squeaking, they're already being damaged. Quench their thirst with some white lithium grease. Why not do this on a monthly basis?
- Corroded battery terminals - This is probably the most overlooked auto maintenance chore. When they corrode they put a strain on the charging system. Make them spic 'n span today.
- Rear window defroster grid DOA - A frosty or dewy rear window is dangerous in the morning. Pick up a Permatex Quick Grid Repair Kit at the auto parts store. You can get it working again in a flash!
- Changing your coolant - This should be done at least annually. Folks know about oil but forget coolant. The most important thing is to not mix colors. Coolant comes in blue, yellow, red, and orange flavors. Mixing colors makes mud and will hose your heater core. The cheapest replacement cost is about $400!
These are just a few things to keep your ride rolling. Keep up with them and save money
in the long run!