red triangle recall signIn cooperation with the Consumer Product Safety Commission, QVC has issued a voluntary recall of about 82,000 Topsy-Turvy Deluxe Tomato Planters with Stand (item numbers M16702 and M17499), due to the fact that the legs on the bottom of the planter can detach when the planter is moved or becomes unbalanced, posing a hazard to bystanders if the planter collapses.

QVC has received 347 reports of the planters collapsing. 155 consumers have reported injuries, including lacerations, broken toes and bruises. The firm has also received reports of property damage caused by the planter collapsing on nearby items.

They were manufactured in China and sold through QVC's televised shopping programs, its web site, and in QVC's Studio, employee and retail stores from March 2008 through April 2008 for about $30. The Topsy-Turvy planter is an upright planter used for growing tomatoes, peppers, or cucumbers. Please see the CPSC press release for more information on the recall.

Consumers are advised to take down the planter by having two adults tip it over on its side and return the planter to any QVC store for a full refund, if the consumer originally purchased the planter at a QVC store. Consumers who purchased the planter through QVC.com or a televised program were mailed instructions on obtaining a refund. Consumer who have not received instructions should contact QVC at (800) 367-9444 or visit the website at www.qvc.com.

topsy-turvy tomato planter

Source

• tony7876

We need to make people put WARNING: MADE IN CHINA, stickers on every product comming from China...

• ricardo

typical qvc action, buy cheap crap from china and push it as high quality products, and charge extremely high prices, not caring about customers until the law suites start. they should be closed down like most of the other clip joints.

• Suzanne  LAURIER

I used to be an ardent shopper with all the shopping networks and I have simply stopped. True the stuff from China is cheaper but at the end of the day the stuff falls apart period. In fact, I have decided to no long purchase any products made in China. That will be difficult for the most part but at the end of the day because I will have a hard time finding products, I will be able to keep my money where it most counts these days, 'in my savings account'. So in a strange way, the importers of good to the US from China are doing us a great favor. You soon find out that you can live without all that stuff.
    I say, lets recycle old cans, buckets, reclaim wood and shop at thrift shops for all the good stuff that was made in the god old days in the US of A.

• Barb

FYI, if the product is damaged, non-working, or defective QVC will reimburse you for your return postage. I've shopped QVC several years and have never had a problem sending anything back. As for the quality of their product, it's much better than what you buy at the mall or ebay.

• sari

kat i agree with you, yes buy Anerican, go to cooop, farmers market b but buy American, dont use your rebate for made in china, they are p profiting from your money , specially dont buy frozen fish at Wal Mart
    i its processed in China.

S Sari

S

• Bianca

Ohhhhhhhhhh, do I miss: "Made in Germany". I knew then it was quality and it would last, and integrity was behind that product. Rarely do I see 'Made in Germany' these day, but when I do...... I get a refeshing chill down my spine......Jawohl!!!!!!

• Manny

I love Chinese food and most Chinese people, but, I'd be very leary of anything that says "Made In China" on it. It sems like there is very little regulation over there. It also seems that Chinese commerce has made a decision to send us the most ridiculous and substandard merchandise that can be manufactured with the cheapest materials on earth. The result is "Lead" in Toys, Poison in "Pet Food" and "Death by Tomato Plant."

• Maureen

I shop on qvc, but I only buy items from ireland.

• SANDY

I HAVE 4 OF THESE AND THE ONLY PROBLEM WE HAD WAS THE POLLS THAT CONNECTED AND SCREWED TOGETHER WOULD NOT STAY SO WE PUT DUCK TAPE SO THEY WOULDN'T COME APART AND I BURRIED THE STANDS IN DIRT INSTEAD OF PUTTING ON PATIO. SO FAR MINE ARE BLOOMING AWAY - TOMATOES - SQUASH - BELL PEPPERS - NO PROBLEM. GOT EVERYTING TO SEND THEM BACK BUT HAD THEM ALREADY PLANTED....SORRY EVERYONE IS HAVING SUCH A HARD TIME WITH THESE. SANDY

• Pablo

nnWhat do ya expect from Made in China Label rofl probably LEAD tomatoes

• Andrea

I order from QVC and very rarely have to send something back but if I do I pay the postage ( it happens to be cheaper thru the post office ) and then get a full refund

• Briea

That looks like a really cheaply made product, and they actually sold 82,000 of them.
    youngdemocratsforchange.com

• Veronica Houlihan

The tomatoe product is just like the Exerciser I purchased from QVC. Had lousy installation instructions, I fell hard to the floor hitting my head, contacted QVC Customer Service and told to contact the manufacturer who did NOTHING to pay for medical bills! Where was QVC's Quality Control, it did not exist for this product! I finally gave up plans to sue them! David vs Goliath! No pride in their advertised products!!!

• Greg

what's going on here?

• Sherry

We bought 4 of the topsy turvy on stand and had no trouble with it being balanced. The weight of the soil and plants held it up (even with NM wind). What I am disappointed in is the poor fabric/plastic quality that holds the soil! Half way thru the season the fabric began splitting and will definately not make it through another year. We thought we had a perfect growing container for tomatoes since we didn't have a place in our yard - all our bedding spaces are shaded and not large enough to support tomato / squash /or other fruits & vegatables. Now, I see there is a recall but when I checked with QVC, they had no record of our order. Hm...they've put in a "search" but I'm sure it won't surface. Now, I'm going through my files to locate my paperwork. Don't believe I'll be ordering anything else from QVC!

• Andrea

I made my own upside down tomato planter following this article - http://www.practicalhomeandgarden.com/how-to-make-your-own-upside-down-tomato-planter. Much cheaper than an upside down tomato garden or topsy turvy planter