My boys are relentlessly curious. They get into everything and explore their world "hands-on". Just yesterday my two- and-a-half year old found a wild mushroom out on our walk. He stood there, calling me over and rattling off all his questions. Luckily, both my boys narrate their every move so while they can get into trouble, we always know about it. I got over there quickly enough to caution him against touching it, and still capitalize on that teachable moment.
Finishing our walk, my five year old asked how we can tell which mushrooms are poisonous. So, like any good mom who doesn't know the answer, I lied. Just kidding, I suggested we look it up at home. Here's what we learned.
Signs of a dangerous mushroom:
- warts or scales on the mushroom cap
- white gills (underside of the mushroom)
- thin gills
- a ring around the upper part of the stem
- a ring around the lower part of the stem
- bulb like base
This information about identifying poisonous mushrooms, and other important information about what to do in the case of a poisoning can be found at Montefiore