Construct a Fireplace Mantel

Filed Under: Experts, Eric Stromer

Don't spend big bucks for a beautiful mantel shelf. Make your own! Try using clear pine that you can stain. It's easy to do and looks beautiful over a fireplace. Get all the information, including fire safety, here.

• Deb

We found an even easier solution to this. IKEA has a wall shelf thats 74 inches long with concealed hardware that served us well as a mantle for years. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40103751 You are limited to their colors, but its quick and easy!

• Peg

I only have a FAKE fireplace, so I'm remodeling my kitchen - painting my 80s walnut cabinets white - white is always in style, and using earthtones. Http://www.kitchenremodelinginfoguide.info The difference is I'm putting hardwood flooring down - not too dark - I think I'll go with the traditional color - want to brighten up my kitchen and keep it "earthy".

• Pauline

We found a mantle just like this at a yard sale about 15 years ago. It's mahogany and is a beautiful dark color. The supports for it are really nice and very attractive. I have always thought it very boring to see homes that are made over and there's nothing over a fireplace but just a seemingly endless wall . It's great if one can be made and the instructions sound easy enough. I grew up with a fireplace with a nice mantle built around it and it made the living room very attractive and cozy. We only had gas logs in it but it was so pretty. - Paula

• Pauline

I sure misspelled the word "mantel". Sorry about that. I agree with Harry - all these people who post on their social lives should cut it out. They must not have much of a social live, however, if they have to post about it which has nothing to do with the subject at hand. I could care less about their personal choices. They seem to come out of the woodwork.
    -Paula

• Harry Hurt

Once again, we get comments about social life instead of comments on the subject matter. Would you people please STOP THAT?

• Owen

Note to Mr. Stromer: The word is "mantle" not "mantel."

Wish I could get a job proofreading for AOL - they could sure use the help!

• roger

you'd be fired quite suddenly. you are incorrect. fireplace mantels are spelled mantel. a lamp mantle is spelled mantle. sorry about your sudden unemployment.

• tommy

Glad I don't have the job of proofreading the spelling of dummies who post here. A mantel is a structure, a mantle is worn like a coat...............

• sunny

Uuuuuuhhhhh
    It is "Mantel" when referring to the surround of a fireplace.
    It's spelled and used correctly here.

• Pauline

Gee whiz - I am so glad we have the spelling patrol on duty here. I don't know how anyone could get through life without you. If that's all I had to worry about in this life I'd be very blessed. Do you think maybe sometimes posters can make a typo and not be able to correct it? Huh - do you think? It's a little humorous to see that most who apparently troll the web sites looking for a misspelled, whether accidental or just not proofreading don't make any other comment that is important to a subject at hand. Keep up the good work. I'm sure there's plenty of other sites that you need to hurry up and get to before someone corrects their self. Rock on.

• Pauline

You're right Sunny. Eric has spelled mantel correctly. I have watched his show and he sure does have some great tips and examples of just how to do various projects. My claim to fame is fixing a commode that kept running after watching him show how to fix one. It's simple once you've done that and with an old house it was one thing I never thought I could do. Thanks Eric.