Install a Ceiling Fan

Filed Under: Experts, Eric Stromer

With the installation of a ceiling fan you can offset winter heating bills by up to 10% and dissipate the need for air conditioning in the summer by 40%. Learn how to do it here!

• JHN

The one, very important, thing that you neglected to mention is that for safety, the existing ceiling electrical box needs to be a fan rated box before you install a fan. If the box happens to be an old installation nailed or screwed to a joist on only one side the weight and motion of the fan could cause it to partially or completely rip out. If the box is an old work box that that someone used to add a ceiling light fixture it is being supported only by the sheetrock ceiling and will most likely rip out after the fan is installed. If the box that the new fan is installed on is not a fan rated box that is tied into the joists on both sides, someone could wind up with a ceiling fan falling down and doing a lot of property damage and possibly injuring someone.

• Angelo

JHN,....very good! thats the 1st thing i said.
    he also neglected to show and tell people that there is a 4 digit code on the transmitter/reciever he put in the fan canopy and that both numbers need to be the same in order for the remote to work!!

• DANNY

BEFORE YOU INSTALL ANY ELECTRICAL DEVICE PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. SAFETY FIRST... WELL THE INSTRUCTION SAYS CALL A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN. ELECTRICAL WORK IS NOT A HOBBY OR DO IT YOURSELF PROJECT. IN NEW YORK CITY ALL ELECTRICAL WORK MUST BE DONE BY A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN AND FILED( PERMIT)... THERE ARE NO CERTIFIED ELECTRICIANS. FOR THE COST OF ABOUT $ 150.00, IT IS NOT WORTH THE HEADACHES AND LIABILITY TO INSTALL IT YOURSELF, IF THERE IS A FIRE THAT WAS CAUSED BY THE FAN YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY MAY DENIED YOUR CLAIM. ANOTHER THING TO THINK ABOUT IS THAT THE ELECTRICAL BOX HAS TO BE APPROVED FOR THE USED OF A CEILING FAN. I HOPE THIS INFORMATION CAN BE USEFUL FOR ALL THE READERS. ONE OF MY CUSTOMER TOLD ME ONCE THAT IF SOMEOME INSTALL A FAN THEMSELF AND IT DOES WORK 2 THING COULD HAPPEN A FIRE, OR THE FAN FALL ON THEIR HEAD THEN MAYBE THEY WILL REMEMBER HOW MUCH MONEY THEY SAVED.
    GOOD LUCK

• Brad Hafey

Call the electrician!

• DANNY

3 MINUTES TO INSTALL A CEILING FAN, THAT IS THE BEST ELECTRICAL JOKE I EVER HEARD SINCE I BEEN A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN.LOLOLOL

• Tony

JHN gave the right answer,also the installer should know the Fan Direction. Looking at the ceiling when the Fan turns clock-wise that is for Winter to draw heat from the ceiling to the floor. For Summer Cooling the Fan turns Counter-Clockwise!

• dp

Sorry guys, but the statement of saving "up to 40%" on AC is a joke. Ceiling fans move air around, is all. True, the moving air, through evaporative cooling of the skin, makes you "feel" cooler.

I have to agree with the comments on time to install. It takes about an hour to do this - if the correct box and support is in place. Otherwise, nice article.

• Hugh

I have 5 ceiling fans installed in my home, they work great cooling the house while the A/C temp control is set on 76. But saving 40%, that to me is a little rediculous, maybe you are saving something and being more comfortable but not saving anywhere near 40%.

• papagils

ceiling fans are good, and do move the air around as said....but get an electrician to install a attic fan. reason...the attic if you have one will get up 130-140 degrees, don't belive me, check it out...your home will be cooler, once you get all the hot air out.de-de-de.....

• JANET POMPONIO

I KEEP READING THE CLOCKWISE FOR SUMMER AND OPPOSITE FOR WINTER AND I REALLY FIND JUST THE OTHER WAY AROUND. I DO NOT HAVE 12 FOOT CEILINGS SO I FEEL CLOCKWISE FOR SUMMER AND COUNTERCLOCKWISE FOR WINTER . DOES ANYONE OUT THERE AGREE WITH ME OR AM I JUST NUTS

• David Andrus

Should be counterclockwise in summer & clockwise in winter. Also ,blades should be between 10 to 7 ft off the floor,depending on your ceiling height.

• Maggie

You are right Janet...it IS clockwise for winter, counterclockwise for summer. All you have to do is look at the way the blades are slanted to know in which direction they will move the air. Even my sister didn't understand that and she lives in Holland...Land of the Windmills LOL.

• JANET

HUGH I HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOU ON THAT.......IF I WAS SAVING 40% I'D PUT ONE IN MY CAR......

• JHack Edownie

We have ceiling fans for ac and heat, and are helpfull, and keeps the bills down,as we are on budget like a lot of others. so yeas have them installed

• Penelope

Energy Savings

After reading "Energy Diet," a super good book, I'm interested in the whole house exhaust fan by Tamarack Technologies. I don't know anyone who has a whole house fan--any feedback from the knowledgeable?

• Ricky B

WHOLE HOUSE FAN - FANTASTIC - really a great help saving elec but also increasing comfort quickly especially when the temps go down outside at night and relieving any room that gets over heated - think kitchen breeze - or baking, maybe fish or burnt toast. Caution with gas stove though .
    Great for cooling house right away so it doesn't hold the heat of the day - especially bedrooms. The basic principle is to open the windows of any room you want cooled while others are closed or partly open.
    Its very powerful doing a quick job of exchanging air - cooling in a matter of minutes or with dimmer can be left on low to gradually cool as temp goes down outside. Like a ceiling fan even the air movement is cooling but you are also exhausting the heat.
    Installation, like a ceiling fan, is not only electrical but real construction. May need to have extra vents put in the roof to allow all the exhausted heat. Fan needs to be framed - usually in an upstairs hall ceiling. A joist may need to be cut and then supported at the ends. I got a carpenter to do that. As to the electrical its the same as installing a ceiling light and wall switch then tying into the box so experience and caution is necessary.
    There are many good books on electrical work as well as local codes. In some areas it is legal to do work on property you own- but you must really study every aspect and observe every safety measure, treating it as the very serious education that it is. A good project for anyone is to make a list of your electrical circuits then all your outlets, switches, appliances and lights connected with each circuit. Charting that and writing the circuit # on the back of each face plate will help if you are having any work done.

• Daniel

I save 100% on my AC bill. I don't have an air conditioner.

• Maryjane

I need to ask a question. I understand you can not power spray cedar shingles. My son has ideas to do that. I seem to remember you one time said NO. Plse respond, He's getting restless. Thanx MJ

• tyrebitre

Take the power washer away from your son. Virtually no part of your house is built to have water being directed against it at 2500 to 3500 PSI. An idiot with a power washer can do thousands of dollars in damage and take years off the life of your house ( esp. roofing shingles and natural wood ) in a couple of hours.

• Sonny

Oh boy! Lots of probs with this one....try to stick to plumbing.....worst that can happen is you might get wet. Mess up with electric and theres a good chance you could get dead! It only takes 1/2 A across the heart to stop it. Got to be at least 15 A circuit you're hooking up to.
    Do You feel lucky today? well...DO YOU! LOL