Replacing the Screen in Your Screen Door

Filed Under: Experts, Eric Stromer

Maybe it was the kids or maybe it with the dog, but suddenly there are holes in the screen door. Relax! There's no need to replace the entire piece, simply swap out the screen. It's easy and much more affordable.

• john

through the magic of video this seems like a real fast fix, but believe me this is not a quick project. this can and will take the better part of a day to do!

• Ginny

I work in a hardware store and John right not a quick fix leave it to the experts ..If the door gets out of square it won't fit putting it up .....Some door have what called spline which goes in a track around the window you would have to buy a spline tool and the spline, bring size to the hardware ...That the easy door to do with staples but mess up the wood your running to the lumber yard .....Happy screening ..................Ginny

• Carlo

I've been in the glass business for 34 years and I've done hundreds of screen doors not mention window screens. If this takes any normal person more then 3 hours total then you don't belong handling tools. You need to take up knitting instead.

• SKiBunny

They need more closeups to actually see what he is doing

• bill

If I could not fix that screen in an hour I would think I was brain dead.

• Gael

I am protesting the use of ads every time you go to see a video, enough already!!!! Please don't add to our visual pollution by this opportunistic advertsiing placement. Aaarrggghhhh!

• Samuel

Those ads keep the videos free

• sharon

I have replaced a few screens, and I can tell you its not that hard. The screens nowadays are easier to replace than that old screen door he shows on his video.

• jojo

cheaper to some if you dont have any of the tools or ambitiion you can just take it as a time to upgrade to a more sturdy door.looked more like a pain in the butt for some cheap doors.

• jojo

they looked like some cheap doors to begin with he even cracked the trim when removing it.

• Pj

Whose going to pay for all the tools required to fix one window? What a joke.

• MIke

The tools he used were pretty simple and if you own your home, you should already have them lying around. It's a simple project and a basic part of home maintenance. It never hurts to be a little handy, and it also saves a lot of cash in the long run.

• Yvonne Werden

I have a metal storm door it would be nice to show a video on this. The door has splines.

• kenny

ha ha!
    this is actually a 3-4 hour project!
    if you 1st have the screen, tools (esp the staple gun), staples, nails, paint, caulk, saw-horses & extra trim.

• Alicea

We did this at our old house before I've even seen this video and we did basically the same thing. It didn't take more than a couple hours. The only part that takes long sometimes is prying off the little wood border and getting the nails out since they sometimes get stuck. If you can't do the rest of it then take it to somebody that can, because it's really not that hard.

• Alicea

If you've ever done any painting you can use a paint scraper tool to pry the trim up and like he said a back of a hammer to pull out the nail or even pliers. Metal cutters or even scissors depending on the thickness of the screen will work to cut it. Hammering it back into place is easy enough, if you don't have the little tool to put on top of the nail any metal tool that you have that is small enough to fit in the little groove will do, even hitting the end of a screwdriver. Now you tell me what kind of family doesn't have a pliers, hammer, scissors, screwdriver, and can't easily pick up a paint scraper.

• Connie

I love to repair and replace things like this around my house, because I won't spend money on things I know I can do. If you are a fix it person, most likely you already have all the tools anyway, which I do. It isn't that hard to do, and the person that said 3 hours or less is right. You just have to
    have everything prepared, like the trim, ahead of time. Love it.

• T

I just had my screen door rescreened by a professional for $30.00, it was worth it to me.

• Tom

Some of you would complain if you were going to be hanged with a new rope!

• Russ

Splitting the trim with the brads???? My brother,who worked at a lumber yard in their repair shop, had me turn the nail head down and hit the point to dull it. then use as usual. I've never split a piece of wood since.