Fix a Leaking Faucet

Filed Under: Experts, Eric Stromer

Leaky faucets can do damage to your water bill. Follow these simple steps to fix the problem.

• Peter Zach

how to skim coat a wall

• takia

i just was reading yesterday how many gallons and gallons of water a day can actually be waster from a leaky faucet. it's such a simple fix to to save money and not waste. check out the other simple ways to save at SaveCreatively. c o m

• Michele

I can't believe how much water you can lose Http://www.kitchenremodelinginfoguide.info and it is such an easy fix.

• sunny

Easy, cheap DIY quick fixes??? Baloney.
    Yesterday, my hubby tried what was supposed to be an "easy $20" repair on a toilet in the house. He wound up having to call a plumber at 4 o'clock on a snowy Friday afternoon.
    The repair was $220 and the plumber did it in less than an hour, including cleaning up what hubby had tried.
    Plumbing and electricity are best left to professionals.

• CONNIE Q.

You can ALWAYS EDUCATE YOURSELF on the project at hand BEFORE YOU START. It would be SAD TO PAY SOMEONE ELSE for something that's an EASY FIX. HTTp://BiT.Ly/aOYMlI had some SUPER TIPS for SIMPLE ways to save more and just plain SPEND SMART. LOTS OF FREEBIES TOO!!

• cobra

Not real handy around the house huh?

• MJ

I have a question. When residing your home with WHITE CEDAR Shingles, is it true that white shingles do not shrink like red cedar shingles?? Thanx, MJ

• Bobby

Both do shrink if they are white or red.

• john

Only Eric would use a pair of channel locks backward while removing the bath faucet stem.

• Rick

John
    Glad to see I'm not only one who noticed that weekend repairman error!

• the plumber

Wow it looks so easy when the valves not recessed in the wall and the handles come right off.
    But in real life you need a handle puller to remove 15/20 year old handles that have never been removed and a special tool to get to the stems as there not always out of the wall.
    Save your self a long frustrating day and call a pro. We are trained in this and we dont show up at your place of business and try to do your job. GOOD LUCK.

• bholt625

THE NEWER FAUCETS HAVE WHAT THEY CALL WASHERLESS FAUCETS !!!!!!!!!!! THE TROUBLE IS THESE WASHERLESS FAUCETS HAVE WASHERS IN THEM THAT ARE DIFICULT TO PUT BACK IN PLACE, THE ACESS TO REPLACE THEM IS NOT EASY LIKE THE OLD REMOVE A SCREW, REPLACE THE WASHER AND PUT THE SCREW BACK.

iT IS ALSO MORE EXPENSIVE FOR THE PARTS. NONE OF THESE PEOPLE MUST HAVE EVER HEARD THE OLD SAYING, IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT"

OH YEA, MY FAUCET STILL LEAKS. THE ONLY THING I CAN DO NOW IS REPLACE BOTH FAUCETS IN MY BATHROOM BECAUSE THE OLD FAUCETS HAVE BEEN DISCONTINUED.

SAVE YOURSELF MONEY AND FRUSTRATION, LOOK AT WHAT KIND OF WASHER SYSYTEM NEW FAUCETS HAVE IN THEM BEFORE BUYING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• CK

It DOES show him using the channel locks backwards but I think it is a shot of him putting it back on and run backwards ( why they edited it this way is beyond me). Also it was a stiry about replacing a washer to stop a leak yet he did not show anything about changing the washer. Removing the handle and stem he showed but not replacing the washer...Bad story and editing...

• OBigRondog

I've watched other videos by this handyman and I've gotten some nice tips. I happen to be a plumber and I'd like to warn the weekend warrior that what he shows in this video can get the average person in a whole lot of trouble. As he says in the video, there are a whole lot of different types of stems on shower valves and there in lies the problem. With 20yrs. plumbing experience, I still have problems with some shower valves. The newer Price Pfister valves aren't as complicated as some of the others but you have to be very careful. Also, the rubber washer that he points out as probably being the problem is not ordinarily going to be the case. The drip is happening because of the discs not closing properly (maybe a piece of grit). A lot of his advise can be helpful, but as I watch this video, I'm finding out that maybe some things should be left to the pros.

• Harry Hurt

Thank your lucky stars if you don't own a laundromat. I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT! (Did I mention that I hate it?)