I love living in Florida, but I hate, hate, hate
the bugs. As if the mosquitoes aren't bad enough, we've also got untold billions of ants to contend with. All these creepy crawlies can turn a pleasant picnic into an ordeal. Fortunately, there are lots of quick and easy tricks to help keep them at bay this summer. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Wipe the tablecloth down with plain old white vinegar. Flies don't care for the smell, apparently.
- On the other hand, tell Granddad to lay off the Old Spice since mosquitoes appear irresistibly attracted to sweet and/or strongly scented colognes.
- Put a lid on it. Once flies catch a whiff of your delicious salads, pies and sodas they'll be buzzing you and your guests till you pack up and head for home. Hold them off for as long as you can by keeping foods and drinks covered.
- Dark-colored clothing attracts flying insects, so dress yourself and the kids with that in mind and opt for lighter hues. The same rule applies to party decorations as well.
- If mosquitoes and/or gnats are out in force, nothing works like DEET. If (like me) you're concerned about DEET's health effects, spray it onto your clothes and not directly onto your skin.
Summer. It's the season for outdoor dining. So get out and enjoy that picnic, backyard BBQ or neighborhood street party, bug-free.
Oh, and if one of those nasty bugs does bite you, check out these treatment hints from AOL Health