Smart Light Switches

Filed Under: Experts, Eric Stromer

Learn about the different types of smart light switches that are on the market and everything you need to know to install one yourself.

• Ed Autry

I install (name brand) Watt Stoppers and other motion detectors on ALL electrical projects in/on comercial buildings per Energy/Building Codes in the Raleigh/Durham, NC area (does not fall under NEC Electrical Code requirement at this time). I have had no problem with any detectors electrical or fire related. Lot more money and does save energy at the end use user. But my question would be "How much energy is saved when you factor in and include the energy used to produce the switch in the first place, plus the energy saved once installed"? Most office buildings that I have installed similar devices have been in offices that person/s do not cut the lights off thru-out the day. But do cut lights off at the end of the day. We set the timer at 5 min and install both motion and sound detectors in big open are and motion in small offices. Energy to make - Energy used/saved over 5/10 years = Net +/- saved.

Ed Autry (Electrical Contractor)

• joe

I understand from reading all the replies that it is actualy cheaper to just turn off the light. But many of us forget due to hurried life. Thus this device would save us money in my household due to we are rushed and instead of the light being on for an extra 5 hrs it would shut off, at least that is my undestanding. I don't know though because it shows the man in the video pressing 2 buttons to set a time instead of just a standard pre-setting. I would like to look into this more and will. Could be I just need a lifestyle change :) . If anyone knows of a US made switch and where to buy such, I would be interested in Knowing.

• dls031568

just another bull chit device for this so called green movement..... what a joke and a way to rake in millions..... i'm not stupid or laze enough NOT to remember to turn off the light...... if you spend $40 bucks on a light switch, you have more $$$$ then brains!!!!

• jim

Eric gets big bucks for stupid ideas that sell material and a free truck. His shows are all about money not being safe or smart. And nothing will change this. Smart guy that is stupid. TOOL MAN but better money

• RLH

Never seen a light switch circuit connected to a double pole breaker (watch when he turns the power back on). I do have a smart switch that works well for me. It is designed to come on at a specified time and then time out and turn off. It is at my river house and when I go fishing in the afternoon and come back after dark the porch light is already on so I don't have to come home to a dark house.

• ??????????????????????????????

why not just use a reg. light switch