I love Venetian blinds; they're classic. What I don't love? Finding a broken slat amidst an otherwise perfectly fine window treatment. Luckily, one bad slat doesn't ruin the whole set. In fact, replacing a one of those horizontal members is easier than it sounds.
It's always a good idea to have a few extra slats on hand should one become snagged or broken. If you don't, you can order replacements at The Window Covering Hardware Store
; just search for your make and model and place your order online. Or just bring your broken slat to a local hardware store to pick your replacement in person.
Then follow these simple to steps to replace the broken slat:
1. Remove the buttons from the bottom of the blind's rail with a flat-head screwdriver.
2. If your rail is reinforced with string, remove the knot and untie any additional reinforcements.
3. Remove all slats underneath your broken one and insert replacement slat.
4. Run the cord back through the blinds and re-tie at the bottom of the rail.
5. Re-insert the buttons and your blinds should be perfectly in order!