When's the last time you took a good look at the ingredients on your laundry detergent bottle? Not only is the list incredibly exhaustive, but I'm guessing you can't pronounce a few of the key ingredients, either.
Full of alkyl phenoxy polyethoxy ethanols
, many detergents are incredibly toxic to the environment. (Want to know what's really in your detergent? Check a detergent glossary breakdown here
According to Consumer Reports, store-bought green cleaners may not be doing the job
, so if you're longing for an eco-friendly method, it may be in your best interest to roll up your sleeves and make it yourself.
Try two of our favorite detergent recipes, and start thinking green when it comes to your whites, darks, and lights!
For a powdered detergent:
1. Grate bar of soap (non-antibacterial) into container.
2. Pour in 1/2 cup of borax and 1/2 baking soda, and mix well.
Easy enough, right? Use 1 tbsp. for small or lightly soiled loads and 2 tbsp. for large or heavily soiled loads.
For a liquid detergent:
1. Grate 5 ounces of soap into a pot and add 1 cup of water.
2. Heat on low to medium heat, stirring continually until soap is dissolved.
3. After soap is dissolved, fill pot the rest of the way with water and stir in one cup of soda ash
or washing soda.
4. Stir mixture on low until soda ash is dissolved and let mix cool.
5. Funnel into a large recycled container.
You'll need just 1/4 cup per full load of laundry.
Now that you've whipped up your homemade detergent, you want it to last, right? Here are a few tips to make sure you're getting the most bang for your buck in the laundry room:
1. Less is More. Never overload on detergent
, as it's better to have less detergent than too much. No one wants a pair of soapy jeans in a thunderstorm!
2. Hard Water Woes.
If you have hard water, try adding 1/2 cup baking soda or vinegar as laundry boosters.
For tough stains, try pre-treating your laundry with 1 cup hot water, 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide
. Then launder as normal.
Lastly, check out ten more homemade laundry detergent recipes
, just in case the above two don't get your juices flowing! Happy washing!