How to Repair Drywall

Filed Under: Experts, Eric Stromer

If you have a hole in your drywall and have yet to repair it, consider this DIY project -- fix damaged drywall without a professional. It's easier than you think. Learn how to do it here with Eric's easy advice.

• ronald

wow your amasing you make things look so easy

• Jan

If your home is in great shape, you feel fine. You feel proud. But if it's a mess, you shrink inside. You feel embarrassed. You berate yourself for not making the room look good, as you had planned a hundred times to do but never did. My home was a mess until I got some help getting it together. It was a book called Declutter Fast ( HttP://tr.im/declutterfast ) that helped me get my place orderly and more livable in a single day.

• Hector Aponte

I think it's wonderful what Eric shows us (Home Owners), those kind of repairs help us (Retired) folks) not only to save some money but... it stop us from getting bored. Keep up the good work Eric.

Thank you, Hector !

• Ken

He didn't show you how a wide drywall knife is needed for in between coats and to finish. I know of an even easier way.

In the last bigger hole, cut the drywall patch 1 and 1/5 inch wider all the way around and then scribe the back of the patch that extra 1 and 1/2 inch and peal the drywall off leaving the paper attached to the front. Use the 1 and 1/5 inch paper still attached all the way around the edge as your tape. No 1X4 needed this way. Also, use a 20 minute set up compound mix for a quicker process.

• jeffy

Good Idea...I will try that today.

• Scarlett

Your method is been the one explained to me. You don't need the wood he put inside the large hole. I do have large hole. A squirrel made is in the wintertime. I looked up and was looking at a squirrel. Anyone that wants lots of trees...well, you have creatures and cutting down large trees can be 5 to 10K. You can easily spend 20,000 just cutting down large trees. think about that when you buy a home. Trees do need to come down sometimes or need trimming or land on your roof. Be prepared for the cost.

• john

Mesh tape is to be used with setting compounds, such as Durabond. It will crack otherwise. The backing for for the drywall plug could be drywall. When done correctly, sanding should be occur once.

Also, in order to avoid the obvious patch, whole wall section should be painted.

• Will

Enjoyed video for smooth finish walls. What about textured walls? Thanks...

• colly

I can't believe that most posters don't even know the basics .
    Ask Eric if he painted the whole wall or did he blend the new paint in with the old?

• Gregg

Eric is too cute.

• james

instead of using a patch crumple up some old newspaper, shove it in the hole. then using the putty to cover it up. its cheaper and you dont have the raised edges from the patch.

• raybob

What a crock, what you may not have noticed is that you now have these big ugly lunps after the spackle dries that can be seen from across the room since you have now built up the damaged area almost 1/8 of an inch higher than the rest of the wall. You can see this on this video as the wet paint shows how deformed the wall is after his method.
    If you are going to use these mesh patches you must first score around the area where the mesh patch will be placed and remove the drywall paper backer to lower the area so when you put the patch in it is lower than the wall. Now add spackle and sand so the patch is the same thickness as the rest of the wall.
    This mesh is the same as drywall seam reenforcing tape and is used to seam two sheets together, however if you have ever worked with drywall you will know that the 8 foot edges have a groove almost 1/8 thinner than the rest of the board to allow for the use of drywall tape and spackle without creating ridges. So when done the fill should appear seamless.

By the way this mesh is not necessary on the last patch, the spackle won't crack if your gaps from the wall to the patch drywall board are less than 1/4 inch.
    Good luck everyone.
    Ray

• heatonr6

man we all need a life if we are talking about drywall on a satarday nite

• aron

in concept a great idea... problem, he left humps in the wall where the repairs were made, and guess what, most walls have been textured. It's really not as easy as it looks if you want the repair to be invisible.

• WILL

I WAS GOING TO WATCH THE VIDEO UNTILL THEY HAD A 30 SECOND TV AD

• parkrunner

You could have used that time to pick your nose. Honestly, it's dangling down your left nostril clinging to long hair.

• Gabby

Its funny that I saw this on AOL b/c my daughter kicked a hole thru our wall in our kitchen (long story). Its been sitting there for a while and just yesterday I said I'd have to get it fixed. And what do ya know I found this video. Unfortunately I tried the exact same technique in her room (because we had to take out part of the wall; yet another long story) and it came out uneven. There is now a lump in the wall =/ Luckily though, we can put a picture frame over it. For the kitchen wall, on the other hand, the hole is near the floor so we can't put a picture there.

So Beware: when doing this, i may come out uneven!

• jeremy

leave it to the professional you can see where you patched the wall you can't repair a hole with a putty knife theres a little more to patching holes first of all you need more than a can of putty year you can pacht the hole the way he did but finishing it is a differant process you need a small bucket of drywall mud or durabond a powder form just add water and mix a mud pan a 6" knife and a 8"or 10" i could tell you how to do the rest but thats why i get paid the big bucks so you never see that hole again

• J D

I don't think I'd want him fixing any holes in my drywall. That little knife he was using was enough to let me know he doesn't know what he's doing. If you don't mind a repair that sticks out like a sore thumb then go ahead and try his method. When you're finished, call me I'll fix it right.

• ray66v

This guy know a little bit more than nothing, about how to do this properly. If you are as clueless as he is, get someone who has experience, to at least talk you through it, before attempting any drywall repairs. Otherwise, it will look like you fixed it when your done, if your lucky.

No features currently available.

• From Our Sponsor

Get informed and learn how to tackle your toughest at-home challenges with expert advice and exclusive trade secrets from Eric.
    Find Out More