beerGetty Images

Who knew that a little brew could perform these convenient summertime tasks?

Partially full beer bottles are always a part of my barbecue clean-up routine. To avoid being wasteful, I dump them in the garden. Now, that might sound like an odd place to dump beer -- and you may be wondering what's so resourceful about pouring it in the dirt anyway. But the garden is actually the perfect spot for leftover beer. A good, old-fashioned brew has some other cool uses too.

Enrich Soil
Yeast is beneficial to plants, so pour a few tablespoons of flat beer into your garden to cultivate the soil. The yeast-filled soil will help plants grow healthier and make your garden flourish.

beeCorbis

Trap Bees
If bees are a problem in your yard, you can battle them with beer. Punch a series of 3/8-inch holes in the top of an old jar. Fill the jar with beer, screw the top in place and put it in the yard where you've seen bees. They'll be attracted to the beer and will be able to get into the jar -- but not out!

Banish Slugs
If slugs have infiltrated your garden and are munching away at your greenery, bury an empty tuna fish can next to your plants so that just the lip is sticking out. Fill the can with beer and check it in the morning; you should have caught some of those slimy suckers! All you have to do is empty the can each day. This little trick also works with earwigs.

Polish Wood Furniture
Got some leftover beer that's gone flat? Pour a little on a microfiber rag and rub it into your wood furniture to add a little shine and deepen the color.

Tenderize a T-Bone
Firing up the grill? If you find yourself with a tough cut of meat for a barbecue, marinate it for an hour or so in some beer. The beer will infuse the meat with flavor and tenderize it while it sits, so it will cook up nice and juicy.

Tip: If you spill a little beer on yourself, sponge it with equal parts of white vinegar and dish soap, and then flush it out with cool water.

Follow Mrs. FIXIT's household tips and advice on Twitter.

• wanabee

If you want the fruits of you labor in the garden, don't use the beer trap on your bees.

• heide

Bees are necessary for the survival of humanity. They don't bite mostly. Leave them alone

• Cathy

Interesting uses for beer Http://www.homeremediesguide.info and I thought it was just for drinking.

• Richard

Why kill the bees, you poophead, they endangered and we need them. Are you afraid of them or just plain stupid!

• netty

Yes I agree

• happy harold

fyi bees dont bite

• Phred

A bee may sting you, but they do not bite.

• John

I think you would be doing a greater service by recommending that people call a beekeeper to get rid of problem bees, rather than killing them. In case you missed it, there is an epidemic among bees that is threatening their very existence, as well as ours. Without bees to pollinate crops, there is less food available. Killing them by trapping them with beer isn't going to help the problem. Plus, unless it is a cheap American beer that isn't worth drinking, it is a waste of good beer.

• CAROL

My first thought when I read this was I can't believe they are recommending killing bees. We need them folks. Try enjoying your beautiful garden without the bees to pollinate it. We do not own the earth! Share with your fellow creatures.

• Joan

Thank you John and others for giving theses authors something to think about,as not one of them thought outside their tiny boxes.Get your intraverted butts out into the real world....ooops afraid of the little bugs.If you aren't highly allergic to the bees and don't angrily strike at them,they shouldn't be a threat....DON"T WEAR YELLOW! Look up ignorance.Much of the info on here is old news....who's info are they playing off of slackers. They aren't thinkers now are they?

• BK

No! Don't kill bees!

• kanen

kil bees yes kill them

• Cabarbie

Another great use for beer is mice or rodents. but left over amount in jar lids (solid, one piece). they can not burp so they do not make it more than 4-5 ft away and are dead.. cleaner and easier than traps.

• Katie

Cabarbie, you're an idiot! Perhaps if you mixed in some Drano or D-Con the rodents might die that fast. Yes, I think they are unable to burp, but a few sips of beer isn't going to instantly kill them like your post would lead people to believe. Also I don't think these people mean honeybee's or bumblebee's. I think they are actually referring to yellowjackets. Bees are drawn to sweet items, not savory items such as beer. Yellowjackets on the other hand are well know lushes!!

• BILLH309

What a waste of good beer when coca cola ot any soda will do the same job,how do you know that ridents cant burp,did you listen to that mouse after you got it drunk as a skunk?

• Vinnie

Leftover Beer??? What is that???

• Tara

Brilliant

• stew

my thoughts exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• kenfu

the marinade idea sounds good, but I love sharing my backyard with the bees and any other creature, I invite them....but I won't share my beer with them. Left-over beer ???????

• Richard

John, Master Bee Expert! You rock dude!