vintage bottle, soap dispenserJen Jafarzadeh L'Italien

Confession: I have a little obsession with vintage bottles - blue glass, green glass, glass milk bottles, vintage soda bottles, antique medicine bottles, and all those bottles embossed with words. In a NYC apartment, there's little space for collections of anything. So I wanted to come up with some practical use for these pretty vintage bottles that I see all the time at thrift shops and flea markets. I decided to turn one of my favorite finds (which I scored for just $1.50) into a dish soap dispenser on my kitchen sink.

soap dispenser, vintage glass bottleJen Jafarzadeh L'Italien

All you need to reproduce this piece is a vintage glass bottle (one shaped like a soda bottle will be the easiest fit) and an olive oil pourer. FIll your bottle with soap, plug the top of your bottle with the olive oil pourer, and you'll have your very own, unique soap dispenser. Plus, it's easily reusable, so it's green. The stainless steel spout won't rust, and the cork prevents spillage. Trust me, you'll never want to use one of those boring pump dispensers again.

If you can't find a vintage glass bottle you like at antique shops and flea markets, search eBay or Etsy's vintage category. There's also an entire shopping site devoted to vintage glass bottles.

I love how my dish soap is now housed in a chic, unexpected vessel. Doing dishes never looked so good.

Got any other alternative uses for vintage glass bottles? Let us know in the comments below!

• manny

Thats not new. The problem is most dish shops are so thick they barley drip out the spout.

• melindallas

Old news.....been doing this for years!

• KK

A vintage glass bottle (slippery w/soap) and a hard kitchen sink just don't mix.

• Beverly Frate

UGGGGGLY! Who would want it?

• SarahJ

The first thing I thought when I saw what kind of bottles are being used is...dangerous! Glass bottles and wet, soapy hands are a no no. As a child, I had a glass bottle fall on my foot. That is probably why shampoos and anything you use in the bathroom are all in plastic bottles.

• explayboybunnys

Martha Stewart has been using antique glass bottles for years....I agree with SarahJ about glass around the sink and soapy hands.....The best idea I use is a Clairol hair color plastic bottle, fill it up with Dawn and the top lets you squirt just the amount you need, no waste.....Hope this helps.....

• Franny

This was new news to me, and I adore old bottles, have lots. The olive oil pourer is a very good idea for dish soap - but not for olive oil, which should always be tightly covered and kept in a dark place. It goes rancid very easily and rancid oil is seriously bad for your health.

I don't know if I'll do this, however. Once when I was babysitting, the child in the bath pulled over a glass peanut butter jar full of little plastic toys and it broke in the tub. Total nightmare! No one got hurt in the end but it was very scary and hard to clean up as well.

• Mary

Nothing new about this , it has been around for 20 yrs at least. As the bottle may look pretty, it never really worked that well for me as it got clogged up easily with the dish soap and being glass was slippery when wet. You can buy glass bottles that have designs, or paint or etch you own designs on them. and also put a few artifical flowers inside them to make them more attractive. The soap does not hurt them. My sink has a built in soap dispenser so I find it easier to just use it.

• AnnieG

I don't use bottles for soap as you can put asoap pump in where the sprayer goes. Bottle are better used for cooking oils. I used old wine bottles shaped like fish, violins, etc. for olive oil, canola oil and such. I keep them in a dark pantry for storage but they look cute when cooking.

• Jack

Great idea however I could not fine a gold bottle to mach my bathroom so I gold leaf it to match all the accessories I have in my bachelopr pad. (Nice touch)

• Donita

I love to use glass bottles to hold fresh flowers and herbs--a drop or two of food coloring in the water is amazing.

• CMG

WE MADE LAMPS OUT OF BOTTLES, AND CANNING JARS, THEY ARE EASY TO MAKE AND MAKE GREAT GIFTS..

• CINDI

WE MAKE LAMPS OUT OF THESE KINDS OF BOTTLES AND CANNING JARS, EASY TO MAKE AND THEY MAKE GREAT GIFTS..

• Carol

I use a pretty glass bottle to keep olive oil on my counter. Add a nice touch. I try the soap and the stopper was always caked with soap. To much to keep cleaning

• Maq

Glass in the tub - what could go wrong here?

• Sue

Wine bottles are a great alternative to the vintage bottles! I have a glass soap dispenser...no problems but then it does have a pump and there's no need to pick it up. Hmmmmmm, let's look for interesting "vintage" plastic bottles and add the requisite olive oil pour spout.

• Common Sense

It's only as safe as the user. GLASSES get washed with soap and water, I hope.

• Casey @ Tin years

I have to agree with the slippery glass bottle issue... but it would be cool to rig up some kind of bottle holder that allows you to spin the bottle upside down (with only one hand) and the weight keeps it going back to the proper position...

Casey @ Tin Years