While there's not much you can do to control the cost of oil, natural gas, or propane, you can save money this winter by avoiding a few common heating mistakes.

"You can save 30 percent by using your home more efficiently," says Maria Vargas, Brand Manager at Energy Star Program. And you don't have to sacrifice comfort along the way, either. Here are simple energy saving strategies that can help keep your costs down this winter.

jinglejangle, heating-mistakes-solved-10-energy-saving-tipsNo need to live wrapped in blankets if you follow these steps to solving your heating mistakes. Photo: jinglejammer

Mistake #1: Ignoring Drafts
That cool air you feel seeping in is a blatant sign that your home is losing heat. Stop ignoring drafts! Check for cracks around doors, windows, foundations, fireplaces, and other areas. Use caulk, weather stripping, door sweeps, or plastic to close off leaks and keep the warm air inside your home.

Mistake #2: Leaving a Ventilation Fan Running
During the winter, don't let the bathroom fan or kitchen hood fan run for longer than necessary. Ventilation fans can suck all the heated air right out of your home. But, don't avoid using ventilation fans. Mold and mildew are always looking for a warm moist place to hide.

Mistake #3: Taking the Furnace for Granted
Maintain your heating equipment throughout the year. Regularly check and clean the filters in your furnace every 3 months. Dirty air filters can reduce the air flow in your system and make your furnace work harder.

Mistake #4: Raising the Thermostat Too High
If your furnace is struggling to reach a desired temperature, don't turn the thermostat higher than the desired temperature. You'll just make your furnace work even harder. Instead, look for the problem and try to fix it. Or if you're heater is just not strong enough, take note, and adjust accordingly.

heating-mistakes-solved-10-energy-saving-tipsSave money by heating less. Use a programmable thermostat.

Mistake #5: Heating an Empty House
Take advantage of a programmable thermostat to regulate the temperature of your home while you're away. It's important to program the thermostat to reflect your family's schedule to get the most out of it And it can save you up to $180 a year in energy costs, according to Energy Star.

Mistake #6: Going to Extremes
Turning down the temperature at night seems like a good idea to save money on the heating bill. But if you turn the air back too far at night, it can cost you when you raise the temperature on the thermostat in the morning. Avoid extremes as the contents of your home will need to be heated as well as the air and that can take time.

heating-mistakes-solved-10-energy-saving-tipsSave energy by setting your washing machine to wash on cold whenever possible.

Mistake #7: Washing Everything in Hot Water
Whenever your fabrics can tolerate it, turn the dial on your washer to cold. Washing clothes in cold water saves the cost of heating that water.

Mistake #8: Keeping the Curtains Drawn (or Keeping Them Not Drawn)
Opening window treatments when the sun is shining and close the curtains when the sun isn't. This will give your home a heating boost from the sun and keep the heat in during the dark night. Also, pay attention to opening the curtains and shades on the side of your home where the sun strikes the windows.

heating-mistakes-solved-10-energy-saving-tipsBy locking your windows you make an air-tight seal and keep cold air out.

Mistake #9: Keeping Windows Unlocked
It might sound too simple to believe, but locking your windows creates an airtight seal that keeps out air leaks and drafts.

Mistake #10: Going It Alone
Energy audits by a professional are the best way to know about your home's energy use. You can take advantage of Energy Star's free online tools by entering information about how you heat your home. The Home Energy Advisor provides energy-saving home improvement recommendations for homes where you live. The Home Energy Yardstick compares your home's energy use to similar homes in your area.

SEE ALSO:
How to Make Your Fireplace More Efficient (Lifehacker)
7 Ways to Stay Warm on the Cheap (Wisebread)
Greening Your Heating (CasaSugar)

• Kittewn

Don't wash everything in cold water otherwise you will never be cleaning things like you sheets and underwear that need hot water in order to get sanitized. Other things are fine to clean on cold but not everything. Also be sure to keep reasonable temps for yourself too.

• SAM BURTON

IF YOUR'E AT HOME KEEP YOUR TV AND COMPUTER TURNED ON. THE FIFST THING I DO IN THE MORNING IS TURN BOTH OF THEM ON, YOU PROBALLY DON'T REALIZE HOW MUCH HEAT THEY PUT OUT.

• Tina

I have heard Http://www.bathremodelingsite.info ventilation fans can cause that problem.

• Taylor

Mistake# 5 goes against Mistake# 6...best to keep your thermostat at a constant temp...this prevents extremes and having to make your furnace work harder than it need to. We have have some very low temps this year -8 was the lowest and our heating bill has changed very little this winter.

• ebneila

Except for my two cats, I live alone in the South. I've tried tolerating 66 degrees but even though I dressed far more than what I consider resonable, my head and hands still get uncomfortably cold. Although I sleep well in the bedroom at that temperature, with several heavy blankets, its just too cold in the living room. I've visited with friends who keep their home at that temp even in the summer. After an hour, I have to go warm up in the car. When I ask why they have on sweaters, They get a blank look and reply; "Sometimes I get a chill" Imagine that! Then they complain about the high cost of electric bills. During these freakishly frequent low temps, I burn my kerosine heater to maintain a comfortable 75 degrees in the living room and turn the central heat off. These heaters can be dangerous but if kept in good condition, using A1 kerosine, they are very efficient, safe and save on power bills.

• Rod

Hey I'm game for about any suggestions,but I've tried most I can think of and they all cost. Got a wood burner, now the insurance company charges me outragouse cause of posibility of fire. No cost savings there. Used kerosean. Yes it does give of carbon dioxide. They all do. Has to exhaust somewhere. Please folks, don't go to bed leaving them on. Chance of fire and carbon dioxide. People die every year of it. Save on the heat company, spend the differance on kerosean. Around $5.00 per gallon here this year. Then there's electric. I've heard electric is the highest cost form of heat. Save on gas, spend on electric. Best I know of is insulate. But do it yourself cause a company gets big money to hire it done. Plastic on windows cost as much for the kits as you'll save unless you can find some super cheap plastic. I'm game for any ideas you folks can offer. E-mail me.

• dvdfrnzwbr

A couple of dogs sleeping on your bed with you keeps you warm. They're like little furnaces. lol

• Phillip

This may sound ghetto but it works! I turn on my gas oven to 350degrees... yes the same oven I cook food in, and i open the oven door! It costs less than electric heaters and it works so much better.