Dreaming of warm weather? We got a look inside Zsa Zsa Gabor's home and were inspired by the scene-stealing checkerboard floor in her sun-kissed Bel Air sun room. Here's how to copycat this look in your home!
Zsa Zsa Gabor's home in Bel Air is on the market for $28 million. Photo: Splash News
Zsa Zsa Gabor's failing health has been landing her in the headlines as of late. Also in the news? The Hungarian actress's massive Bel Air estate, which is currently on the market for $28 million, as first reported by TMZ. More details of Zsa Zsa's mansion are available over at Curbed Los Angeles.
We got our hands of some pictures of the mansion's interior. Although some of the star's style choices seem questionable, one thing that took our breath away was the uber-inviting sun room, decked out with bright orange awnings, lacquered tables and -- our favorite -- an eye-popping, large-scale, black-and-white checkerboard floor!
So, as we wish brighter days on the ailing Zsa Zsa, let's take a closer look at her Bel Air sun room and talk about how to recreate that scene-stealing checkerboard floor in our own homes. (Don't forget to scroll down for more interior photos of Zsa Zsa's home.)
A checkerboard floor is easy to DIY with floor paint. Photo: Splash News
How to Paint a Checkerboard Floor
While alternating tiles are probably what Zsa Zsa used to acheive this bold, classic look, a black-and-white checkerboard floor is easy to DIY with floor paint -- and the best part is that you can use this treatment on just about any surface, from wood to concrete.
To paint a checkerboard floor, you'll need:
Painter's tape or chalk
Black paint and white paint suitable for floors (if you're feeling adventrous, try a blue-and-white or even a red-and-white pattern!)
Paint brushes and rollers
1. Before you start, plan out your pattern: you can stagger the squares in a straight pattern, or you can tilt them for a diamond effect.
2. Once you have your pattern picked out, wash down the floor and wait for it to dry thoroughly.
3. Next, prime the entire floor, then paint it white, using a paint roller on an extension pole.
4. When the primer is dry, tape off one-foot squares, using a tape measure to mark points along a straight line for accuracy. You can also use chalk to mark off the squares.
5. Paint inside every other square (or diamond) with black paint, using a second coat if necessary. Remove the tape while the paint is still wet, and let the pattern dry overnight.
For a more detailed tutorial on painting a checkerboard floor, head over to Benjamin Moore.
Zsa Zsa Gabor's personal photos and cards lay in a basket in her home. Here, the star poses with her ninth husband, Frederic Prinz Von Anhalt, and Arnold Schwarzenegger. Photo: Splash News
The fluid lines of Zsa Zsa's orange leather-upholstered dining chairs can appeal to both modern and traditional design sensibilities. Photo: Splash News
Zsa Zsa's decadent day bed features a bold canopy and abundant pillows. Photo: Splash News
Zsa Zsa's at-home bar is adorned with a candelabra and a glamour shot of the ailing star at the height of her fame. Photo: Splash News
The star's sun-kissed terrace is spare and inviting. Photo: Splash News