Looking for a group of friends to sew with? Decoupage with? Or just swap renovation tips over pizza? We've got the best DIY-themed community activities all over the country.
Even if you love your friends, chances are they don't share 100% of your interests. So why not seek out a new group of people to craft/build/create with? I tried it this week at the Brooklyn-based Etsy Labs
. As subway trains rumbled across the Manhattan Bridge outside Etsy's window, I stitched together a DIY wallet with 50 new friends. Jealous?
My wallet, in all its glory. Photo: Nikki Pepper.
My newfound discovery got me thinking. If Meetup
lead me to Etsy Labs
, what else is out there for DIYers? Here's my findings, broken down by region, to help you DIYers find your own meetup. Whether you're a scrapbooker
or a stamper
, there's a group for you.
- Long Islanders can cook and craft as part of the group All Fired Up!
Join these women -- ages 25-35 -- for some yummy, crafty fun.
- If you're in the NYC area, be sure to check out Etsy Labs
, a group with over 3,000 members that turn up for weekly free craft events. Be sure to sign up ahead of time though!
- Join crafters in Georgia for weekly "crafty Tuesdays." True to their name -- Screen Printing & Mixed Media & Crafting for Everyone!
-- this group covers a range of creative forms. Upcoming events include book making and a yarn swap.
- DIY and contribute to your community at the same time through D.I.Y.Home Projects & KY TimeBank Service Exchange
. Spend an hour helping someone fix their roof or paint their house and they'll owe you an hour of DIY time on your house.
- Leather bracelets and bird mobiles are on the list of upcoming events for The Chicago Rebel Craft League
. Join the existing 255 "crafty souls" to complete projects for all experience levels.
- Join Stampers Anonymous
to satiate all your papercraft urges. Every month they host a Ladies' Night, along with various other crafting events. Past meetups include Cards & Coffee and open workshops where you can bring any current projects you're working on.
West Coast Meetups
- DIYers of California should check out Fixer-Upper DIY Homeowners Salon & Social Club
. This meetup is support-group style with members swapping renovation
tips and stories over beer and pizza. Now that's our kind of social scene!
- The Art of Crafts
is a Seattle, Washington-based group that provides a wide variety of projects. Members have made soaps and placemats in previous classes. Coming up: Decoupage
Find a meetup close to your home, and let us know what your group does! And if you're looking for crafty projects to complete on your own, check out...
Apartment Gardening: Turn a Filing Cabinet Into a Planter
Silverware Crafts for your Home
Illuminate Old-School Photo Negatives