Now that mosquito season is starting, it's time to stock up our buzz-busting arsenal. But are these weird tips real or rumors? We'll be the judge.

mosquitoBaggis, Flickr

Weird Mosquito Tip #1: Drink Lots of Beer
Rumor. The rationale behind this gem isn't to have a good time, but that the alcohol and yeast are not appealing to a mosquito. Actually, the opposite is true. A mosquito actually prefers the blood of a beer-drinker over anyone else. You can try to trick them by leaving out open cans of beer around your yard, but it's more likely that Uncle Kenny will just drink the buggy brews instead.

Weird Mosquito Tip #2: Fire Up a Bubble Machine
Real. Though I suspect that this tip was actually submitted by a 5-year-old who desperately wants to improve their bubble output tenfold, mosquitos have been found to be repelled by soap solutions. So it's less about bubbles and more about the suds.

Weird Mosquito Tip #3: Mix Up Some 'Dew
Real-ish. Someone suggested mixing Mountain Dew and dish soap, then leaving the solution out in cups around the yard. Again, the mosquitoes were probably repelled by the soap rather than the soda. So save it for the refreshment stand and swap in water instead.

Weird Mosquito Tip #4: Wear Only White
Rumor. The thinking is that bold and dark colors absorb heat, which raises your body temperature, turning you into a buffet for bugs. But if it's hot out, you're going to have a higher body temperate no matter what you wear.

Weird Mosquito Tip #5: Rub Chives On Your Pulse Points
Real, but gross. Mosquitos hate the scent of chives, but so does everyone else around you.

Weird Mosquito Tip #6: Eat Plenty of Garlic
Real, but also gross. Points to the reader who painted a terrible picture in my head by writing, "Eat garlic until it oozes out your pores." Lovely. But if you happen to be eating a garlic-leaden meal, great news, mosquitos hate you.

Weird Mosquito Tip #7: Vacuum Them Up
Real. Of course, if you have the reflexes and the eyesight to be able to vacuum a mosquito mid-air, then I suggest you try out for the next "Karate Kid" movie.

Weird Mosquito Tip #8: Try This App
Real, but with reservations. There's a few iPhone apps on the market designed to emit a noise that repels mosquitoes. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on all varieties. And, it drives cats and dogs nuts.

Weird Mosquito Tip #9: Rub Yourself With Fabric Softener Sheets
Real. It goes back to tips #2 and #3, mosquitoes just don't like the taste or scent of soap. But use caution, since this idea just sounds irritating to the skin.

Weird Mosquito Tip #10: Spritz with Mouthwash
Rumor. A popular email forward from a few years back states that if you spritz yourself with a 10 to 1 mix of water to Listerine, you'll repel mosquitoes. While the menthol and eucalyptus doesn't appeal to the critters, the dilution won't be enough to make much of a difference. (And directly applying Listerine to skin will just dry you out.)

Want more tips on mosquito prevention? Check out...
How to make your own organic mosquito repellent
Garlic spray: a natural way to a mosquito-free zone
The Daily Fix: Ward Off Mosquitoes

Already bitten? Watch this to see how to take the itch away...

• wils

Paul, I like your idea best.

• Stevie

Mosquitoes lay up to 250 eggs at a time in still water, which will hatch in 7 to 10 days. If standing water is eliminated weekly, many mosquitoes will be kept from breeding in the first place, eliminating the need to use pesticides against adult mosquitoes. This also reduces the number of mosquitoes around the house. Here is a checklist and some things you can do:

• Check for items that might hold water including wheelbarrows, tires, hubcaps, toys, garden equipment, pool covers, tarps, plastic sheeting, pipes, drains, boats, canoes, recycling bins and trash.

• Remove standing water in ponds, ditches, clogged rain gutters, flower pots, plant saucers, puddles, buckets, jars and cans.

• Completely change water in birdbaths and wading pools weekly. Drill drainage holes in tire swings.

• Stock ornamental ponds and fountains with fish that eat mosquito larvae.

• Avoid mosquitoes by staying indoors at dawn and dusk when they are most active.

• Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants while outdoors.

• Apply insect repellent that contains DEET. Follow directions carefully.

• Install or repair window and door screens to keep mosquitoes out.

• janie doe

skin so soft works wonders. avon even sells it in spritzer bottles. I used it for years on my dogs. it worked like a charm and kept them 100% mosquito free. on me, too! plus is smells nice
    just be sure to cover their eyes with your hand when you spritz their face or rub some on your palms and then onto their face. it also keeps the ticks off.

• Erin

We found (by accident) that a fan will keep help mosquitoes at bay. My dad used to set up an oscillating fan out on the deck to cool things off but we noticed after a while that there were no bugs coming to join our fun. Don't know if they are actually blown away it or just don't like the moving air, but it works!

• Tina

I understand that the air not only blows them away, but also dissipates the scent coming off us that attracts them in the first place. I do know that it works. We put an outdoor fan on our deck last year and had no problems with bugs at all.

• flink

The mosquitoes can't land in a breeze. Fans are a well-known preventative in SE Asia.

• Laurie

I have found that if you spread a layer of cortaid on your skin before going out, the mosquito's won't bite...or not as much

• bob

You don't have to eat garlic. You can buy Super -odorless garlic pills. Take one a day. You will not taste it or burp it up or sweat it out or smell / taste it in any way. You will NOT get ANY mosquito bites while taking the pills. However, caution if you're prone to ulcers. Garlic can be hard on the stomach

• KatieKat

I found a spritz of Superhold hairspray on them, when they are buzzing around, is very effective.......FREEZES them dead in their tracks.

• kelle

Another way to repel pesky mosquitoes is to use Avons Skin So Soft, and any kind of solid or roll-on Deodorant. i live in the country. If you use Skin so soft be prepared of a oily mess. the Deodorant acts as a shield. Im allergic to the mosquito repellents that you buy at the store and i had to find alternative. And it works for me and my family

• kel

Another way to repel pesky mosquitoes is to use Avons Skin So Soft,
    and any kind of solid or roll-on Deodorant. i live in the country. If
    you use Skin so soft be prepared of a oily mess. the Deodorant acts as
    a shield. Im allergic to the mosquito repellents that you buy at the
    store and i had to find alternative. And it works for me and my
    family

• Holly

What worked for me was moving to the desert SW and miles from the river bottom area, haven't seen a mosquito in 25 years.

• Gary C

I have horses that also require water tanks. This time of year tadpoles show up. I used to fight the tadpoles until it dawned on me that they eat larve. Now I leave the tadpoles in the tank and sure enough I have very little mosquito problem. The tadpoles dive to the bottom when a horse drinks and they do not bother the horses at all.

• kay

A few grops of eculyptus oil in your birdbath/ fountain etc. prevents them from laying eggs in that water.

I hope the "dryer sheets" works; I cant stand pesticides or skin creams!

• Patrick

Or you could do like we did when I was in the Army in Panama and we were being eatten alive by mosquitoes. We would eat the match heads off of the matches. Sweat out all that sulpher, never got bit.

• Eric

This sounds like it would be harmful to one's health...

• DLCornwell612

Cinnamon keeps them away from you. It also repels ticks.

• Harry Hurt

Another sure-fire way: Bring in a lot of frogs. They love to snap up mosquitoes.

• Nick

I had a bubble machine out for a party a few years ago. I don't recall fewer mosquitoes, but I do recall that wherever my plants were barraged with bubbles -- died. Now I'm very careful if/where I set up a bubble machine

• Tre Beloc

Went to Boy Scout Camp, many moons ago, and they had us take B2. Dont know how effective it was, but dont remember having many bites.