20 New Ways to Use Magic Erasers

Filed Under: Essential Skills, Know-How

They might look like your average cleaning tool but you should trust the name here: These cleaning blocks are kind of magic.

magic erasersMagic erasers can clean almost everything! Photo: Pyrex Love

From Mr. Clean's original "magic eraser" to the generic options, eraser cleaning blocks have made cleaning easier, less messy and dare we say...even fun! Sure, these foam blocks can get the gunk off walls (sometimes even upholstery if you're careful) and other household surfaces, but there are so many more uses for these little blocks of heaven. Here are 20 unusual uses for an eraser block to make the most of your spring cleaning time:

Quick Tip: Cut up one eraser block into four little blocks. It'll make your purchase last longer, and, it'll make it easier for you to get into smaller nooks and crannies.

1. Outdoor Furniture and Toys
Take grungy white resin or white painted furniture by lightly scrubbing with an eraser cleaning block. The eraser gets into crevices and cracks while leaving paint finishes intact. The same principle applies to outdoor plastic toys.

2. Pool Liners
Pool owners, this will make your life easier: A gentle scrubbing on your liner will get rid of the water mark better than any other product.

3. Vinyl
Take an eraser to scuffs on just about anything made from vinyl: siding, boat seats, shoes, etc.

4. Car Interiors
Clean the car seats with an eraser block: Go lightly on leather, but it's okay on fabric and vinyl, lightly scrub the car steering wheel. Eraser blocks get rid of grease streaks left inside after the car's been to the shop, too.

5. Hubcaps
Clean your car's hubcaps with an eraser for a water-free car wash.

6. Refrigerator
Get rid of last year's drippings that are pooled in the back of the fridge. It'll take a whole eraser block, but it gets the job done. The seals that have gotten a bit black and moldy will also respond well to an eraser.

7. Dishwasher Interior
What are those colors inside your dishwasher from time to time? Lime, mold, ewww. Just take an eraser to them and the stains will banish.

8. Bathtub and Sinks
Getting rid of dirt and water marks is easier (and not so gross) with an eraser block. Bathtubs can take a tough scrub, but go lightly on sinks -- even a light scrub gets rid of that caked on dirt that you often can't see until you try to get it off.

9. Rust Removal
Scrub anywhere (around pipes in kitchen and bath) that you see rust.

10. Computer
A magic eraser gets rid of oil and dirt that has built up on your keyboard and mouse; you can use it on laptops, too.

11. Phones
Use one on your phone's mouthpiece, too -- it gets rid of the same grime that builds up on your computer.

12. Bugs
Wherever there are smooshed bugs (porch pillars, car windshields, interior walls, exterior doors, exterior light fixtures) wipe them away with an eraser block.

13. Glass Stove Tops
No need to have special stove top cleaner on hand, get rid of burned-on food by lightly scrubbing until the gunk is gone.

14. Dishes and Glassware
Rub hard-to-clean build-up off of thrift store dishes and glassware, like Pyrex bowls, following advice from the blog Pyrex Love.

15. Gutters
Get rid of green slime that builds up on gutters with an eraser. It's another ewww-worthy task, but it'll be almost effortless with an eraser.

16. Mirrors (and Windows)
Many fans of eraser blocks swear it gives them a streak-free and clean mirror, if the pad is slightly damp when you give it a light scrub.

17. Floors
Erase scuff marks, old paint drips-great for most floors (but always go lightly, especially on finished wood).

18. Grout
Which leads us to grout. The eraser does well with most grout (except really old and darkened-beyond-help grout that will remain gray even with best scrubbing efforts).

19. Granite countertops
Everyone is afraid to scrub granite, but an eraser pad, used at first gently and then with a little more oomph as the stains disappear, will indeed get stubborn stains out of granite.

20. Leather
You can use and eraser lightly on leather upholstery, purses or shoes to lift up marks -- just be sure to use a gentle touch.

(Disclaimer-never use eraser cleaning blocks to clean skin, animal fur, glossy, brushed, satin or dark painted surfaces-including appliances, and lastly, never use on delicate fabrics.)

• Robyn

Removes crayon from flat screen TVs, we thought my grandson was watching the Wiggle so nicely, seems he was really occupied covering the scren with crayon. And I think the TV was maybe 3 weeks old! Carefully, softly, with an dry edge, all the marks came off!

• Jean

omg i love them for cleaning the toliet seat it works awesome

• Sue

I love the magic erasers just like everyone else....BUT....please be very careful with them around children...NEVER let them "help" you clean with them...I've read many stories of kids ending up in the hospital after handling them...so please check the warnings very carefully...

Sue

• colleen

This is a myth and has been addressed on snopes.com

• D

The best thing ever invented for cleaning next to soap! I get mine at the 99 cent store. Yes they are a knock off brand but they are the very same thing. Walmart also has their own brand of them in the cleaning aisle. I do tend to cut them in to the size I need so even my 99 cent store ones last longer. They clean things that other things couldnt. I always keep a stack of them on hand. I dont know what they are made of but I will always buy them, I hope they never stop making them.

• info

It is so great for cleaning walls.

• Pam

Just make darn sure you're wearing gloves if you have nail polish on! Took my polish right off after doing the tub! :)

• Gini

For cleaning a tub or shower, do you use the Magic Eraser dry, damp or wet??

• solomeeo

I LOVE magic erasers! I have 2 dogs and they are great for cleaning dirty walls! They are expensive considering, you only get 2 per box, BUT FYI, I tried the generic brands and they do NOT work

• kevin

Its a great product...I clean homes professionally and these are always in my kit...removes inky finger prints from doors after folks read the newspaper...great on stainless steel...really I use them for most everything....just wish they lasted a bit longer.

• Jessie Dee

I have used both the generic found at Target /Walmart and the name brand Home depot Walgreens Krogers etc..they are all exactly the same. They all work awesome, on literally every non porous surface. However Ive learned to only use the same eraser in one place. It will usually last 2 cleanings in the bathroom 2 in the kithchen etc. Considering they are a high density foam they have no additives in the ones I use..I purchase a 4 pack at Home depot for $2.00. >50 per use and the tub literally sparkles with little effort no more painful fatigued arm..Just dont rub it on your skin the material not any chemical causes a burn similar to a friction burn from a bounce house or inflatable slide..

• Pat

Great for wiping pet fur off of furniture! I do this before I vacumn...throw the fur on the floor as I wipe it off and then vacumn!

• Sherry

My sister used one on her leg trying to get the sticky goo off from medical tape. She rubbed so hard that she had to go back to the doctor because it looked like her leg had been burned. She was told that the erasers contain bleach. She knew they worked great on everything else, so why not try it on her leg. Great for cleaning walls, etc...not so much on legs.

• angelia

Everytime i use them they crumble right away !

• ALowe

We love magic erasers at our house! I can't find anything that cleans my flat top stove better than these, and my daughter cleans the white parts of her shoes with them. Along with walls, tubs, showers, and pretty much anything else we can erase. I haven't tried car interior though, and need to, so that is on my list.

• Lucy

Magic erasers are made of melamine foam (used for insulating pipes among other things) and work like fine sandpaper. The holes in the sponge grab the dirt, but the texture of the foam also lightly wears away the surfaces you use it on as well as the sponge itself.

It doesn't contain harsh chemicals, but can and will abrade skin if you rub it on yourself - which can look similar (and hurt a lot)!

Oh and loads more uses here too: http://household-tips.thefuntimesguide.com/2006/01/magic_erasers.php