Skip to main content
Peter

Peter

Member Since Mar 13th, 2007

Are you Peter? If So, Login Here.

Login

Recent Comments:

Two Pilots Fired After Brazilian Pop Star Takes Captain's Seat Mid-Flight

May 20th 2013 3:40PM Yeah, why fire the copilot? He had no choice but to sit in his seat and play nice.

BTW, I have photos on a friend/passenger in the copilot's seat of an airline flight in India a few years ago. So this kind of thing isn't unusual on smaller airlines.

5 tips for sleeping in your car

Feb 25th 2011 10:31AM Lots of good advice in the comments. In small towns I've had many comfortable nights in the car, truck or van, sleeping in church parking lots. I second the suggestion to shower at truck stops. Just walk up the cashier's desk after buying gas, with your kit in hand and say something like, "I'd like to shower". Showers are free to long haul truckers. I could pass for one of those guys so my truck stop showers are usually free. Otherwise I'm happy paying the small fee. The private bathrooms are clean and pleasant with plenty of hot water. And they give you a fresh towel.

Confessions of a Mortician (Funeral Director)

Feb 6th 2011 10:57AM from the story: "No, I didn't bury my Barbie Dolls". ROFLMAO!

Tipping Around the World: A Traveler's Guide

Jan 13th 2011 6:33PM In restaurants where meals are prepared to order and served by a waiter or waitress there are two basic reasons why tipping is necessary. The first is as an incentive to do the job well, the second is to hold down the basic operating costs by paying low wages so that meals can be priced reasonably. The attitude of the person who serves your meal is important to your enjoyment and digestion of the food. The best way to instill courteousy in a food server is to make their income dependent on their attitude and attentiveness.

If you still don't want to tip your food server, do what I do, eat at places where your order you food standing up, then carry your meal to your table. I can't afford to tip so I eat at home or fast food places and, for special occasions, buffets.

Tipping Around the World: A Traveler's Guide

Jan 13th 2011 5:44PM Rather than believing what this article/author says, read a guidebook about the country you're visiting. Guidebooks always have such basic information in them.

I once played host, on behalf of an American foundation, to a pair of Brits who were visting NYC as VIP guests of the foundation. They were clueless about tipping and my limited role didn't allow me to explain it to them. This left me in an funny position, hanging back to leave tips or give tips, trying to let the server/driver know that my British "guests" weren't aware of tipping, at least not the way it works in NYC.

So it's wise to take the time to find out what is customary, by reading a well known guidebook.

10 Most Bizarre (Yet Real) Job Interview Questions

Jan 7th 2011 5:36PM Carpenter's method: Measure the elephant to determine cubic size. Compute that size in gallons or liters. Assuming that an elephant's body is, like most quadapeds, about 60% water, estimate weight based on the weight of water (a pint's a pound, the world around), using a weight of one half that of water for the remaining 40%. I'll bet that's a good ball park figure, give or take 10%.

Emergency in the Sky

Oct 20th 2010 5:59AM How many Texas Aggies does it take to fix supper?
Three. One to cook the armadillo and two, to watch for traffic.

Jacinta Lal, Blonde, Blue-Eyed Miss India New Zealand Criticized for Not Looking Indian Enough

Oct 14th 2010 4:37PM Why is it necessary to have a contest which is limited to people who have an ancestor from a particular ethnic group? Isn't that prejudicial enough, by itself? And why then is it a surprise when those prejudiced people complain about the contestants? It's a silly beauty contest, for goodness sakes...empty of real meaning. Inner beauty alone reigns supreme. SGMKJ!

Leno Digs Up Morgan Freeman's Cringeworthy McDonald's Commercial (VIDEO)

Oct 1st 2010 11:06AM Jay is a comic first and last. Unfortunately he often crosses social boundaries when going for laughs. It may be OK to "out" your close friends but I'd sure think twice about doing it to someone else, particularly a person who has earned respect from his peers and everyone who has seen his fine work.

Midair Crash Narrowly Averted

Sep 24th 2010 8:05PM Every pilot who has flown into and out of busy airports has stories about near misses, many of them the fault of ATC. Sometimes it's faulty equipment, an altitude encoder that's off by a few hundred feet, as one example. So don't be too quick to blame the pilot. We've got more invested in returning safely to Earth than anyone else up there.

Advertisement

Follow Us